Occupancy tax and collection

Jamey3
Level 2
Columbus, OH

Occupancy tax and collection

Is anybody manually billing occupancy tax in their area through the resolution center? How do the guests respond? Seems to me every awkward arrangement. I would love to hear your experience with it and how you handle it.

5 Replies 5
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Yes it is extremely awkward. I’ve resorted to adding it as a “community fee” although this isn’t really right as Airbnb still includes that in my gross earnings.

I just realized this was not automatically added in.  I now have several weeks booked but didn’t charge the tax. Is it too late or should I just eat that ?  

Mary60
Level 2
New York, NY

I am trying to understand also about the collection and doing it "right" by my guests: I am collecting is in cash when they arrive, but how do they know if I am not just keeping it?? of course, I am not, I have to hand it over to the city, but the really, the city? should be giving my guest and I a receipt.  Does this happen in your town in Italy??

I am trying to figure this out and was going to put it in my listing and collect in cash as well.  I will need to collect a 7% occupancy tax and a 5% state tax.  Seems cubersome.

My question about Airbnb collecting taxes. Do they take 3% of the collected tax fee in their service fee?