Open Homes Program

Carolyn95
Level 1
Yuba City, CA

Open Homes Program

How do you know if a guest is actually an evacuee and not a scammer?  Does Airbnb have any process to verify guests in this regard?  Are the majority using an agency?  Many thanks

26 Replies 26
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Carolyn95   They are doing the bookings for verified non-profit releif centers who verify the need before passing the guests to AirBnB for consideration. 

Lisa-And-Nicos0
Level 1
New Jersey, United States

Hello, We are new with hosting on airbnb and are only doing so through their Open Homes platform (specifically to assist immigrants and refugees). Can someone who has also hosted on Open Homes, reply as to their experience?  We haven't had any responses to our posting and I am not sure how organizations that assist this population (such as the International Rescue Committee) are supposed to know about our posting. Does airbnb promote to these organizations so that they are aware of what's available?

Debbie100
Level 3
Jacksonville, FL

Why are we not seeing FRONT AND CENTER info about how to open our homes to people evacuating the east coast in advance of Hurricane FLorence???

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

I just signed my listing up for the Open Homes program, for Hurricane Flo. The help section doesn't address my questions. I don't really want the dates open for "everyone." I just want to open for those needing emergency lodging. I have to keep my calendar open for everyone though, don't I?

Also, if I just want to open for Hurricane Flo "victims" do I remove myself later from Open Home, can I put my listing on "unavailable" or something so I am not constantly open for free?

I want to help, but I can't have my calendar open all the time and I can't take people for free all the time. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

I have the same question. A guy reserved the room to rent stating he was coming intown to celebrate a brithday - then he canceled it and reserved 2 days for free. Turning on Open Homes was a bad idea- just anyone who wants to take advantage of a free place seems able to do so. HOW DO I UNREGISTER/ TURN OFF for Open Homes? 

I agree! This is getting crazy! I can't let folks live in my room for free all the time. I am sorry for those who are displaced, I really am. But I helped one couple seemed to never be ready to leave. Meanwhile my electric bill is going sky high with the AC blasting all hours of the day. 

Did you figure out how to remove your place from the open listing? I can not seem to find a way to remove myself and my place won't show up on regular aribnb.

Cordially,

Jodie 

Go to Listing.  Scroll down and there's an off switch.  I turned it off iMMEDIATELY after the fourth request from people who weren't even from the Bahamas.  Airbnb needs to stand up and own helping people by covering hosts with extra insurance and picking up the fee.

Cat4
Level 2
Fort Walton Beach, FL

After Hurricane Micheal :

My listings are only open to  guests with reviews and I'm getting all sorts of inquiries form "nonreaders". LOL

Airbnb does not vet the guests. So I should only provide my housing to the Red Cross or other EM folks??

Pls advise...... PLS 

Cat in Fort Walton Beach.

Diane523
Level 2
Smyrna, GA

Sadly, we tried to do this and were inundated with requests in Panama City Beach and got bookings weeks out before we realized how fast people sign up. We closed it after only 12 hours.  Do NOT allow instant book as that was our problem. When one of the "renters" appeared to be getting power back shortly and their stay was 1.5 weeks away, I was called "prejudiced and discriminatory" when I asked her to cancel.  Ugh. 

Be careful to not allow instant bookings like we did and only do it a week out or so. Things change quickly and people are looking for a free vacation if your place is nice like ours is, on the beach. 

The biggest problem is there is no way to know how is really needy and who is not. Freeloaders and needy people can look very much alike.  

You are so right about instant booking - it was a nightmare for me, too.   I’ve found AirBnB’s pricing & booking “tips” don’t protect the hosts.   I make the guests message me with a reason for their visit before I approve anything and so far it is working for the Open Home for #CampFire evacuees.  

Thanks for sharing your experience and insight!

Nancy686
Level 2
High Point, NC

Just had a bad experience with a rude, entitled attitude guy on Open Homes. He did not seem like a displaced person and expected breakfast and kitchen privileges with his free room. BTW, the room has a kitchenette. He actually argued with me that my listing says that. I know what my listing says. This ended my listing in Oien Hines. Sad, but scammers are everywhere. 

We do not have to accept all requests. I just opened my listing up to the fire survivors and am hoping to help those who really need it.  I'm also hoping that if I have an experience like you did and refuse, it willl not be included in the stats

Colleen164
Level 2
Davis, CA

I just signed up to Open Houses and really don’t understand how it works.  I think it said that since I’m doing it for local evacuees, there is no agency feeding me people.  

I told a couple contacts that I have my space available for evacuees of the CampFire in NorCal and maybe that is better than AirBnB deciding pricing for me.  

So far I don’t see rhat Airbnb changing my rate to $0.   I’m a bit worried by these comments and have no trust in Airbnb’s pricing help.  

Is anyone doing it now and having success?