Perception of guest smoking illegal substances

Carla479
Level 2
Columbia, SC

Perception of guest smoking illegal substances

I have a review to write and trying to be as fair as possible.  Bottom line up front, I have the perception based on smell that a recent guest was smoking marijuana in one of my accommodations.  

Upon arrival I found a candle burning on a countertop (believed to be an attempt to mitigate the smell) and for two days the smell hit me like a ton of bricks.  This required more extensive cleaning and airing of the home.  I asked if the guest was aware of the no smoking policy but received no response - don't know that I should've anticipated one.

Now, I realize that we are in a day that it could be considered medicinal, however, I had a patio which could've and should've been used.  I have considered just requesting reimbursement for the additional cleaning efforts and giving 4-stars for following house norms and cleanliness and 5-star for communication being that they communicated to the extent of arrival.

WWYD (what would you do) / recommend?

2 Replies 2
Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

In the future you should be more redundant about mentioning in your listing that there's no smoking allowed. I let people know with an abundance of attention! Then if they book, once they check in, they'll see that I have two no smoking signs (one on the refrigerator and another under the desk). Some people make the WIFI code "no smoking".

@Carla479 Airbnb tends to remove reviews that make explicit mentions of things such as drugs, sex, bodily functions, and illegal activity. It's legally risky for them to host content that can be legally construed as libelous. Therefore, even if you feel 100% certain that the guest was smoking weed in your place, your review should avoid direct accusations.

Examples that would make the cut:

"The home was left with an unpleasant odor and required additional airing and cleaning after this guest's stay."

"Although my house rules prohibit indoor smoking, the home was left with a strong odor and a burning candle."

But if your guest was smoking any substance in a non-smoking home, 4 stars for House Rules seems awfully generous. Sounds like a 1 star guest to me.