Please critique my listing and my Airbnb design

Rajan2
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

Please critique my listing and my Airbnb design

Hello. I am a superhost who has been working to get my Airbnb just right. It has taken some time and I think we are finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. That said, I would really appreciate it if other Airbnb hosts would give me some quality criticisms and feedback on my work and listing.  Also, be sure to read the reviews and let me know how to improve and maybe what else I can do to make the place look and feel better. 

BTW - I am 4.5 minutes from Downtown Los Angeles and 8 mins from Hollywood.  Yes, I am putting in a TV next week 🙂

This is stressful to put myself out there, but I want to make the experience the best possible for the guests and for my ratings.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/25193470

Let the reviews commence...

8 Replies 8
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rajan2  Yes, you have to have a thick skin to put yourself out there for a critique, but lots of hosts do and I think it can be quite helpful.

In your case, there is really little to fault- your place is lovely and your reviews are fantastic, so you're obviously doing the right things. The couple reviews that mentioned that they didn't think it was good value, or that it wasn't as close as you made it sound to attractions are obvious outliers- some people just need to find something to complain about, but your responses are totally professional.

The only things I'd suggest are:

Edit your listing description a bit so it sounds a bit more personal, rather than a real estate ad. I've read a lot of posts here on the forum where hosts had partiers who destroyed the place, and when I read the listing description, it was quite impersonal. Just a line like "My wife and I had a great deal of fun putting the place together in a way that we feel is both comfortable and elegant" sort of thing just gives a personal touch and conveys that it is a home that you've put a lot of effort into creating and care about. As you live on the property, that effectively kiboshes partiers and sneaking in extra guest types, and while you mention that you live on the property farther down under host interaction, many guests just don't bother to thoroughly read all the info so I'd work a line into the description, as well.

I find many of your photos washed out- maybe you could play with the contrast a bit. Also some of the photos I find redundant- you can see the whole bed area in the first photo, so the close-up and the one with the plant are unnecessary. Maybe replace with different angle shot. Same for the front door shots- just one is sufficient. And too many photos of local attractions for my taste, but maybe that's what guests coming to your area like to see, so take that with a grain of salt.

All in all, great listing with happy, appreciative guests. Congrats.

@Sarah977 Thanks for the critique. I am going to take a look at the listing and possibly update it. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Rajan2   It looks lovely, my only suggestion is to put a little more detail on how far either minutes or miles the place is from the various locations that you have photos of, and maybe also put that detail in the written part of the listing.

I would consider the guest who complained about no mircrowave/kitchen area when none is shown or listed as just a bad entitled guest.

Rajan2
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

@Mark116 Thank you. I will add more detail for driving distances. Being it is LA, we try to discourage driving vs. Uber/Lyft. What we have found is that unless you know the area, you will end up spending up to 25 dollars to park near popular venues and locations. You can Uber/Lyft both ways for that price. 

We did add a microwave and coffee service. Unfortunately, I could not get a kitchen permitted into the build out. 

Mark1357
Level 4
Casa de Oro-Mount Helix, CA

Very very nice! 

Thank you for the kind words!

Rajan2
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

Hi all - we have updated the space and listing per recommendations, included a microwave, now a wall-mounted Roku TV with cable and guest mode so guests can check into their favorite apps and chill. 

Now working on an outdoor chess set but need to find large chess pieces....hmmm

Rajan2
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

Just finished the Salsa Garden out front. Now to finish the deck for the front patio.