Problem with a host

Nicolas511
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Problem with a host

Hello, 

I sent the following to Airbnb Support but have not received a response. Any ideas? 

Hello AirBnB, 

There seem to be some discrepancies between this host's two listings. The listing that we reserved and paid for states that we have access to three private bedrooms, a kitchen, washing machine, private living room, etc. in a shared house. For these services and amenities, the host charges approximately $42.00 a night for two people. The host's other listing lists all the same amenities (the same three bedrooms, private living room, bathroom, etc.), but excludes the use of the kitchen and washing machine. Because these two amenities are not included, the host charges a smaller fee per person. When we booked our stay here in (city name), I chose to pay the higher fee so that we would have access to the kitchen and washing machine. For the first two days of the trip, my wife (her name) and I had access to all of the amenities listed and we were enjoying our stay. Last night, the host came over to inform us that five other guests would be moving into the apartment for one night (May 26) under the conditions of the other listing. He insisted that they would only be spending the night and that they would not be using the kitchen. When we got home from visiting the city tonight, the other guests had moved in. We now no longer have access to a private living room (it is actually shared with the other guests) and in fact, someone will be sleeping in it tonight so we have no access to it. Additionally, the other guests are using the kitchen, which supposedly would be for our exclusive use. (There is no way for the host to restrict their use of the kitchen). This, in particular, bothers me as it means that I am paying extra for a service that other guests in the house are using for free. 

On top of these amenity issues, my wife and I are now restricted to only one of the three bedrooms listed for our reservation. At the same time, a similar problems persist for the other guests: they only have access to two of the three bedrooms that they paid for. Essentially, we are both paying for spaces occupied by other guests. This, in combination with the kitchen situation, is clearly a violation of the terms of service and the contract between host and guests. 

The host is very nice and we have enjoyed talking with him, but at the end of the day we feel extremely uncomfortable and frustrated with the situation. I don't think (host's name) is intentionally being malicious, but I think he may be unaware of what the problem is. I have tried to explain it to him, but there has not been a resolution. In my opinion, he needs to either get rid of one of the two listings or set this space up as a single private apartment listing. 

In any case, I would like to resolve this with (host's name) without confrontation or Airbnb's direct intervention (unless it is necessary, of course), but I would like your advice on how to proceed in light of the above. 

Thanks,

7 Replies 7

@Nicolas511

You can send your hosts a request for payment for what you believe you have been "overcharged" ..if the host doesnt agree then you will go through the Resolution Center Process and Airbnb will decide if you should get the refund or not.

That is the general way of doing things. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/The-Resolution-Center-A-Community-Help-Guide-Request-or-...

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

if you think the listing is unacceptable in some way ...you can report the host by clicking the white flag on the listing where it says "report this host" and explain why.

you can obviously write a review after your stay and make your comments there and you also have an option there to tell Airbnb anything about the host which you feel they should know

Thanks @Mike477 for your response. I feel uncomfortable talking with the host. He randomly shows up at the apartment and lets himself in. The listing states that we have access to a private living room and yet he just walked in on us watching a movie and began asking questions about the other guests and started walking around seemingly inspecting the house. He doesn't live in the space. At what point does a reasonable expectation of privacy get violated? Couldn't he have knocked at least and allowed us to answer the door? 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nicolas511   I think you are going to need Airbnb's direct intervention on this. What the host is doing is a clear violation of their contract with you and you deserve an appropriate refund or to be re-homed to a suitable listing. Either the host is being purposefully deceitful in their listing, or they simply don't know how to set up their listing and reservations properly.

It can take a day or so for support through messaging to reply, although they eventually do. I suggest you phone Airbnb or contactthem trough Twitter, which supposedly gets the fastest reply.

@Nicolas511   If you do not want to involve Airbnb at this stage the only option is speak to the host again and explain your understanding of the listing and what is offered for the USD$42.00. Could be that the charge was supposed to be USD$42/night for one room and the host has set up their listing incorrectly.  It sounds extremely confusing.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nicolas511  This host sounds totally clueless. They absolutely have no right to enter the apartment without prior notice and even then, hosts are not to enter a guest space unless it is an emergency situation (i.e. burst water pipe), they are coming at the guest's request (i.e. guest can't get wifi to work), or there is a prior arrangement (i.e. host comes in to clean and change bedding and towels every 5 days). And in those cases, the host should not enter with their key, unless they have contacted you first to ensure you are not sleeping, walking around in the nude, having a sex romp, etc. 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Nicolas511 This is totally wrong. Call AirBnB now.

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Nicolas511
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Thanks all for the responses. I am sitting on the phone waiting to be connected right now.