Question about the calculation of average stars

Answered!
Stuart132
Level 2
Le Château-d'Oléron, France

Question about the calculation of average stars

As we are now coming to the end of the summer season here in SW France! I have been browsing my star ratings and seem to have an error in the calculation of my star ratings.

We have been renting out our holiday home for the last two years and are very happy with the feedback from our customers. 
I have noticed something specifically under the heading of cleanliness. We have a total of 22 ratings for this property, 21 of these ratings for cleanliness are 5 stars and one is 3 stars however, our overall rating is 4,5 and has been for the past 6 months. By my calculation this should be closer to 4,9. 
Can anybody help?

1 Best Answer
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Stuart132 🙂

Guests rate us in the 6 sub-categories but they also give an overall rating. So the overall rating is not a product/an average of the sub-categories but a category of its own. Guests rate us in 7 categories.

Best, Sandra

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Stuart132 🙂

Guests rate us in the 6 sub-categories but they also give an overall rating. So the overall rating is not a product/an average of the sub-categories but a category of its own. Guests rate us in 7 categories.

Best, Sandra

Stuart132
Level 2

Hi Sandra856 and many thanks for your answer.

I know that the subcategories don’t make up the overall stars, but I’m talking about an individual sub-category. In my case, cleanliness. I have 21 5* ratings and 1 3* rating, but only an average of 4.5.

Hi @Stuart132 🙂

Oh, okay. If you look at your progress page (same place where you can see your superhost progress the stats will only take into account ratings giving within the last year - where on your public listing you and your guests will see all ratings from the beginning /all ratings since you began hosting. It says 4,9 when I look at your listing. Is it at your progress page it says 4,5?

Stuart132
Level 2

Strange! I now see 4,9 as well!

It seems to have resolved itself. 
Thanks everyone!

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

I see an average of 4.9 for cleanliness.

Do you mix it up with the SH calculation?

Stuart132
Level 2

Strange! I now see 4,9 as well!

It seems to have resolved itself. 
Thanks everyone!

@Stuart132 wrote:

As we are now coming to the end of the summer season here in SW France! I have been browsing my star ratings and seem to have an error in the calculation of my star ratings.

We have been renting out our holiday home for the last two years and are very happy with the feedback from our customers.
I have noticed something specifically under the heading of cleanliness. We have a total of 22 ratings for this property, 21 of these ratings for cleanliness are 5 stars and one is 3 stars however, our overall rating is 4,5 and has been for the past 6 months. By my calculation this should be closer to 4,9. 
Can anybody help?

I have been browsing my star ratings and seem to have an error in the calculation of my star ratings.

I have noticed something specifically under the heading of cleanliness.