„RULE SET“ FRUSTRATIONS

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

„RULE SET“ FRUSTRATIONS

I use „rule set“ option very often. I don't allow check in the second day after each reservation, and I don't allow check-out the day before each reservation to prevent 1-night gaps between bookings. (My min stay is 2 nights)

I used multi-calendar to set „Rule set“ for my 3 listings.

Since last month I am unable to access „Rule set“ from my multi-calendar. It was there and then, suddenly, it disappeared. ( Interestingly, if some  „rule set“ already exists then I can access it and edit it. If I want to add the first „rule set“ for that particular day or period then I can't, it is not there.

Look:

Multi-calendar – „Add rule set“ option is NOT available anymore

abmultical.png

Multi-calendar – „Edit rule set“ is available to EDIT .... if some rule is already set before.

abmultical1.png

Listing's calendar – „Rule set“ option is always available to add or to edit

abmultical2.png

So, if I want to set the first „rule set“ for a particular day or period then I have to open each listing's calendar and set it there. It can take up to 3 x more time because I can't set the same rule for all of my 3 listings at once.

It wouldn't be such a problem if the process of adding a rule set wouldn't be soooo **bleep** exhausting!

Let see what we have to do to set one „Rule“, for example, to set the day of the week when check-in is not allowed:

1. CLICK on the day on the calendar you want to add a rule set for
  2. SCROLL down the form on the right side of the screen
  3. CLICK on the Custom rules
  4. CLICK on "add rule set" ( here the pop-up window will open and cover your calendar, so if you forgot what day of the week the particular date is then you have to close the popup window, look at your calendar again and repeat all previous steps )
  5. SCROLL down to "check-in and check-out  days"
  6. CLICK on "customize"
  7. SCROLL down to the day of the week you want to block for check-in/out
  8. SCROLL down to "save" button
  9. CLICK on the "save" button
  10. WAIT.... WAIT... WAIT... WAIT... for up to 1 minute until it saves the change and closes the popup window
  11. SCROLL down the form on the right side of the screen
  12. CLICK on "Add private note"
  13. TYPE the note
  14. CLICK on "Save"

We have to make 14 steps! To add just 1 rule!

If you didn't make any mistakes, your PC, your mouse, and internet are not slow, if you succeded to select the dates at our first try (it is buggy)   then you are done in about... 2-3 minutes or so.

Now you multiply 3 minutes with the number of your linked listings and the number of days you want to customize and you will find out how much of your time will be wasted today.

For example, I have 3 linked listings so after each booking, I have to add 2x3= 6 rule sets for 6 days.

The math is:

I will waste 6 x 3 minutes = 18 minutes (at least)

I have to CLICK 6 x 7 = 42 times (+ 3 x to select the next calendar)

I have to scroll down 6 x 5 = 30 times.

Bravo Airbnb, very user-friendly... now excuse me, I have to go and take a pain killer for my carpal tunnel syndrome.

13 Replies 13
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Branka-and-Silvia0 Why, why, why, why?!?!

The number of clicks to proceed is getting out of hand.

And as to Step 4, it is inevitable that I’ve forgotten the details by that step.  So of course I have to start over.

Grrrrrrr!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Ann72 , why?

because those geniuses who are paid for such "improvement" ideas never actually use their product and obviously don't care about its users.

They came up with an idea, convince everyone how great it is, collect the money and they are happy .... while we are left here in a "click and scroll" nightmare

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Branka-and-Silvia0, this is actually the exact opposite from me! I have rule sets on the multi-calendar but NOT on the individual listings monthly calendar. So when I am looking at an individual listing I cannot see my set rules and do not get a clear picture of how I've set up the month. It's totally useless to me.

It's true ... who designs this stuff?!?!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Emilia42 

really? Uh, isn't that great?!

UPDATE:

I just looked again and realized I skipped a few more steps, so in fact, it is not 14 steps for each new rule but at least 17 or more

1. CLICK on "calendar"
  2. CLICK on the particular listing
  3. CLICK on the day on the calendar you want to add a rule set for
  4. SCROLL down the form on the right side of the screen
  5. CLICK on the Custom rules
  6. CLICK on "add rule set" ( here the pop-up window will open and cover your calendar, so if you forgot what day of the week the particular date is then you have to close the popup window, look at your calendar again and repeat all previous steps )
  7. SCROLL down to "check-in and check-out  days"
  8. CLICK on "customize"
  9. SCROLL down to the day of the week you want to block for check-in/out
  10. CLICK on the day you want to customize
  11. SCROLL down to "save" button
  12. CLICK on the "save" button
  13. WAIT.... WAIT... WAIT... WAIT... for up to 1 minute until it saves the change and closes the popup window
  14. SCROLL down the form on the right side of the screen
  15. CLICK on "Add private note"
  16. TYPE the note
  17. CLICK on "Save"

Custom rules isn't an option for me in the right column. What gives?Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 4.41.48 PM.png

Alfred H
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Alfred-And-Deanna0 

Open your listing's calendar ( not multi-calendar for all your listings)

Click on a date or a period you want to add a rule set for. Dates should be available (not booked or blocked) and then you will find it.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

I do everything manually on the calendars.

Seems considerably quicker and no headache!

Sure @Alon1  we all have to do it manually, all 18 steps, how could you othervise add a rule set ?

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant I don't use Rule Set.

I'm not tech minded, so keep things as simple as possible.

I have 5 listings, so quite a jigsaw, and don't spend anywhere near the time you laboriously do in your struggles.

@Alon1  I see you don't have a minimum stay requirement so you don't have to set particular days when check-in and check-out are not possible. That's why you don't need rule sets 🙂

We have min stay 2 nights so I am trying to minimize 1-night gaps between bookings because I lose money on them. Some hosts have min stay 6 or 7 nights and turnovers at Saturday only and they also have to use rule sets. Some hosts have longer min stay in the season and shorter out of season etc...  etc... 

A rule set is a great feature but it should be more user-friendly and less time-consuming, that's all.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

Thanks for reply.

Yes, I don't have minimum stay requirement. I do same day and one day bookings. I also have flexible check in & out times.

If I can't take a booking for any particular day I simply block the calendar.

Markus250
Level 2
Lachen, CH

Hi everyone.

I have created different rule sets I know I use often, and given them a name. When I want to apply the rule sets, I highlight the dates on the calendar, select the rule set and apply it. It works well and is a little less tedious. Hope this helps.

@Markus250 

tnx, yes I do the same for some basic rule sets.

Another stupid thing is - if you have 2 or more different rule sets for 2 or more days and you select them together you can't see all those rules, it just shows "various rule sets". So you have to clear all and set new rule sets for those days. You can't just add another one. ( when rule sets were first introduced this option was available but not any more)

Obviously, people who are in charge of new "improvements " and those who design them - are not hosts and don't use Airbnb on a regular basis.