Reasons NOT to buy gift card for Airbnb

Answered!
Dennis139
Level 6
New York, NY

Reasons NOT to buy gift card for Airbnb

My kids bought us $300 in Airbnb gift cards as our Christmas gift, knowing that we will be making a trip soon with my sister-in-law and her husband.  We selected an Airbnb  and my sister-in-law booked the unit, paid her share, and set it up allowing for split payment.  When I tried to pay my share with the gift cards, I was told they could see the money in my account profile, but I could not use it. 

Only the person who makes the initial booking can use a coupon, but the system is set up so that it will not allow the second person in the group payment plan to pay with a gift card.  This is illogical; what is the difference between the first and second party that one user can use the gift cards and the other cannot?  They see the cash in my account.   

Now my kids spent money for me to use towards my accomodations for my trip; Airbnb sees and acknowledges it, but won't let me use it.  This restriction is not divulged to the user.  Who knows what other limitations there are?  Now it is just sitting in my account until I book another trip; maybe in a year if I'm lucky.  It would have been a better gift if I just paid with my credit card and my kids reimbursed me.  If we had known this, they would have not bought it, or at the very least, I would have made sure I booked it instead of my sister-in-law. 

Do not buy Airbnb gift cards for yourself or anyone else!  There is no benefit to it!!!  Why let Airbnb hold on to your money?  Now I have lost the use of my kids' gift money.   We just gave it away to Airbnb to hold and use however they want indefinitely.  Regular credit card companies will send you a check if you have a credit balance in your account after a period of time.  I doubt that Airbnb will let me have my credit balance back ever.  What a gimmick.  Don't fall victim.

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

114 Replies 114
Sharon740
Level 2
Poquoson, VA

Lost $200 from a gift card not being accepted. This policy is written somewhere, but who would know or expect the need to research such a thing ? It is not a normal business practice and by not being upfront AirBNB is obviously being deceitful to keep your money. People have been complaining about this for years and nothing is changed. Don't bother with customer service. They know what they are doing with this unreasonable  and sham of a policy and simply don't care about one's anger or loss of future business. I had no reason to split payments, but I was offered it, so blindly hit yes because why not ? Little did I know my "choice" (as AirBNB calls it) led me to be denied the use of the gift card with no warning or explanation. As another poster said, no service agent will even attempt to justify this rule in any way whatsoever. There is no justification other than business by trickery. 

Lauren650
Level 1
Paris, France

The gift card doesn’t even work, we’ve tried multiple times to put it on an account but it says it’s invaild! Airbnb won’t help putting the card on the account. And now have stopped responding to my messages. I just don’t understand how unprofessional they are. They won’t give me a refund. I have reported them to the FTC. I suggest everyone should do the same. If the card doesn’t work, they need to be responsible!!

Alex1714
Level 1
Marshall, MN

If you have gift cards and want to use the whole balance of multiple gift cards, make sure when you book the reservation, at the time of payment options, you pay up front instead of paying now and later. This allows you to use whatever credits/gift cards are on your account. Due to this, I would also say to opt for the option that gives you free cancelation.

Rachel1021
Level 1
Phoenix, AZ

We just encountered this scam.  Made a reservation and paid for part of it, then received gift cards as a present, plugged them in to account, and spent over an hour on the phone with customer service trying to put the gift cards toward remaining balance of reservation.  They kept referring to the website which says you can't use the gift cards for second payment...but the gift cards don't say that so I never thought to look up what the website says.  This is unethical!  

I've had the same issue with AirBnb.  You also can't use them for long term stays.  I had a month long stay in Mexico.  You can't use them.  2nd payment, can't use them.  AirBnb wants to SELL gift cards, but they really don't want you redeeming them.  Talking to customer service doesn't help.

They behave as if they are in some liquidity crunch, that they don't have sufficient cash to pay their bills so they have unfriendly, absurd really, policies to insure that gift card purchases are financing their business.  

Worst gift cards ever.

Sherry253
Level 2
West Bloomfield Township, MI

I have encountered the exact same problem - a person should be able to use the gift card for whatever part of the charge they use....I got the gift card after made the reservation - did pay some now and some later - only to learn unable to use the gift card to pay the balance - I agree unethical !!!

Sherry253
Level 2
West Bloomfield Township, MI

I suggest all of you go online and make a feedback statement - which I have done to share that gift cards should be useable on what ever part of the amount due a person wishes to use - not just the original booking....its a scam in that they have no problem taking your money but sure have problems letting you use it

James1605
Level 1
Cypress, TX

Air B&B is dishonest.  I have over $500 in gift cards that they will not let me use for an upcoming trip.  There are no restrictions on the card and no notifications when you make the reservation.  you only find out when you try to make the second payment.  I am registering a complaint with the BBB.

James1631
Level 1
Jersey City, NJ

Similar issue to many of the above and frankly with the poor communication on how you can and cannot use gift cards is close to a bait and switch. I have two bookings that I’ve paid paid the 1/2 deposit for some time ago. I have gift cards in my account having been offered additional air miles for buying Airbnb gift cards and now I find out (contained deep within the small print at purchase through a series of links it seems) that you cannot use them on existing booking I.e. changes, or the rather important second and final payment. Since almost every Airbnb booking requires 2 payments, this ridiculous policy limits the use and thus value of a gift card quite significantly. Sort it out Airbnb, we expect better. 

Katie689
Level 1
Austin, TX

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. My company was about to spend over $2,000 in AirBnb gift cards as gifts for our employees. Now we will take our money elsewhere. Shame on AirBnb.

Katherine464
Level 1
Belle Isle, FL

I also received my gift card for Christmas.. when I called customer service the first person I spoke to could hardly speak english...so I asked to speak to a supervisor. She seemed to know even LESS than the first person. After 35 minutes they said my card was NOT VALID.    I use gift cards all the time...this is just a

RIP OFF.

Yen30
Level 1
Aldie, VA

Same issue and I had 600 balance.  Had to book another trip.  They need to change it. 

Joy349
Level 1
Richmond, VA

Why did I not see this before I bought this stupid card! Thank goodness it's only 38$

Micki8
Level 1
Huntington, NY

It's gotten worse, at least in the past you could choose to pay in full at the time of booking (therefore, using gift cards) Now they're not even allowing you to pay in full, only the two payments, ensuring you cant use gift card balance for the second payment! 

Courtney243
Level 1
Chicago, IL

Not good on Airbnb part.  Realistically a gift card is the same as money, no reason they shouldn’t take it for the second payment. I had the same problem, and now money just sits in my account.  I was glad to read somebody contacted the BBB. This should be changed immediately!