Reasons NOT to buy gift card for Airbnb

Answered!
Dennis139
Level 6
New York, NY

Reasons NOT to buy gift card for Airbnb

My kids bought us $300 in Airbnb gift cards as our Christmas gift, knowing that we will be making a trip soon with my sister-in-law and her husband.  We selected an Airbnb  and my sister-in-law booked the unit, paid her share, and set it up allowing for split payment.  When I tried to pay my share with the gift cards, I was told they could see the money in my account profile, but I could not use it. 

Only the person who makes the initial booking can use a coupon, but the system is set up so that it will not allow the second person in the group payment plan to pay with a gift card.  This is illogical; what is the difference between the first and second party that one user can use the gift cards and the other cannot?  They see the cash in my account.   

Now my kids spent money for me to use towards my accomodations for my trip; Airbnb sees and acknowledges it, but won't let me use it.  This restriction is not divulged to the user.  Who knows what other limitations there are?  Now it is just sitting in my account until I book another trip; maybe in a year if I'm lucky.  It would have been a better gift if I just paid with my credit card and my kids reimbursed me.  If we had known this, they would have not bought it, or at the very least, I would have made sure I booked it instead of my sister-in-law. 

Do not buy Airbnb gift cards for yourself or anyone else!  There is no benefit to it!!!  Why let Airbnb hold on to your money?  Now I have lost the use of my kids' gift money.   We just gave it away to Airbnb to hold and use however they want indefinitely.  Regular credit card companies will send you a check if you have a credit balance in your account after a period of time.  I doubt that Airbnb will let me have my credit balance back ever.  What a gimmick.  Don't fall victim.

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

114 Replies 114
Varun43
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Thanks for your post.  In general, I think gift cards are a bad idea. If you are gifting someone, either give them something personal or just give them cash. Gift cards are nothing different than giving cash with heavy restrictions for your gift recipient. Especially with unethical practices  ran around Gift cards by companies like Airbnb, it seems very stupid idea to buy a Gift card. I understand that you can buy gift cards with some discounts, but it is better to know what traps you are getting into beforehand. I was planning to buy gift cards myself to earn some extra reward points but just googled if there are any traps. SO GLAD that I came across your post!

Karen1962
Level 2
Pittsburgh, PA

Thank you for this post. I have a current stay booked; I bought gift cards for myself, put them in my account with airbnb and cannot use the money in my account to pay for the balance due. They are saying I have to use them on a future booking.  Airbnb sells 1 product and they have gift cards in the market that you can purchase, but later they throw the fine print lingo on you that they cannot be used on their product!   I am positive this is a class action lawsuit situation that will find in favor of the consumer. 

Xiao123
Level 2
New York, NY

Why can't gift card be used in the second payment? To me it seems like Airbnb is deliberately holding our money as hostage.

Jessica1737
Level 1
Anderson, CA

Wow, thanks for this information. I was going to gift Air BNB gift cards to various family members for Christmas— definitely will NOT be doing so after reading all of this. Shame on them... Won’t be booking in the future. 

Michael4573
Level 1
Hershey, PA

Yeah, definitely not going to use air bnb gift cards. This is useless, thanks for chiming in everyone! Definitely a buyer beware thread.

Jamin715
Level 1
Cedar Park, TX

+1 on me being thankful for this thread. I will not be buying gift cards for family that likes to travel as a result of what I am reading.

Why didn't you just cancel the booking and book again using your gift card?

Melinda179
Level 2
Long Beach, CA

As a host, I have been asked by my friend how she can buy a gift card for my AirBnB to give as a wedding gift. There seems no way to do this. I was going to suggest just buying an AirBnB gift card but after reading this I don’t think so. It’s so disappointing because AirBnB has come through for us in many other ways. I would expect better of them. Gift cards are money that the user should be able to spend when and however they want because the money is Already paid! I plan to reach out to host support but I’m not hopeful. I have found nothing so far to indicate what I’m looking for is possible nor prudent for me to suggest to my friend. It’s just bad business on AirBnB’s part. 

Can I use my gift cards to pay for a 28 night stay?

Michelle2225
Level 1
Ontario, CA

I wish I had known about this before I purchase a $500 gift card but fortunately I'm pretty far out and I was able to cancel my reservation. I then rebooked it and it applied the gift card and then I paid the balance. The reason why people purchase the gift cards is to earn points or miles like I did but then it's not really worth the hassle when a company like this has a policy that doesn't make sense. fortunately I just earned 2000 United miles using a gift card app and also a lot closer to my extra 35000 bonus Southwest miles for using my new Southwest mileage plus credit card.

Reece23
Level 1
Seattle, WA

Looks like this is a moot point. Airbnb just told me they no longer offer gift cards on their site since August. However, the forms to buy are still available on the web and in their app. But when you do the payments go through and then are immediately credited back to your account. They didn't even tell their own CS department about this -- since it took them five days to figure this out. Sounds like Airbnb is going through some serious issues right now.

Got a gift card from my daughter for Father's Day and it would not download. Told my daughter about it and she said she would take care of it .Now she knows they stole her money .Do not buy these gift cards.

Carla1280
Level 2
Río Cuarto, Argentina

It's insane that after all these complaints @airbnbsupport is just ignoring the conversation outright. I was about to buy a gift card but nevermind...

Beth180
Level 2
Boca Raton, FL

WOW. As Christmas approaches and I had the intent to buy a giftcard for my daughter I'm happy to have found this thread. I'm a super host and this really disturbing that airbnb is not responding to this thread. Like the rest of you until/if every they fix all these issues I will refrain from gift cards. Sad because it would be a great gift.

We got an airbnb gift certificate from our kids for Xmas and when we went to download it to our account, my phone number apparently is the same as someone's phone number in Belgium, and the money went into that person's account!!!  My husband spent two weeks on the phone dealing with one agent then passed onto another agent who stopped returning calls three weeks ago.  Just found this site and reading these posts, I am furious!