Reporting an indecent incident by an air bnb guest

Rachael24
Level 1
Saint Kilda, Australia

Reporting an indecent incident by an air bnb guest

I'm wondering if any one has any advice on how I can contact air bnb about an incident that happed in my house this past weekend. I am a single female host and had a male guest stay for one night over the weekend. I left the house for a few hours after he checked in and returned late at night. When I went to bed I could smell his strong cologne all over my sheets and bedding! The next morning I had to leave for work early, however he got up and had a chat to me before I left. I didn't feeel safe enough to bring up the issue with him on my own, however before I left for work I arranged my belongings (and bedding) in a particular way to see if anything would be interfered with again. I returned home that afternoon (after my guest had checkout out) and was shocked to find that he had been in my room (and bed) again. He had also left me chocolates, and a air bnb message saying how much he had enjoyed his stay. Absolutely disgusted I responded to his message and called him out on his totally unacceptable behaviour. He respoded by canclling his visit (even though he'd already stayed and left). I've since googled him and discovered that he was criminally charged in 2012 with stalking and forced entry into two womans houses where he rummaged through their property, stripped and ejaculated in their beds. I'm in shock and horrified by the whole situation. Looking back through his reviews, all of the hosts he chooses to stay with are woman. I have no idea if they have had similar experiences and I'm seriously concered for the safety of the next female host he chooses to stay with. Assistance would be greatly apprecaited! 

16 Replies 16
Scott80
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

I would call AirBnB and ask what they recommend. You could also contact police to see if they can do anything and to cause them to be aware of the man's presence.  

Rachael24
Level 1
Saint Kilda, Australia

Totally, I just can't seem to find a contact anywhere on the air bnb website!?

Diana147
Level 1
La Mesa, CA

i hope that you will report this guy to Airbnb...for anyone else to not have the same issue.  if you are going to allow sigle men to stay with you.. and feel uncomfortable..I would have them leave...your safety is more important than the money...the two single men I have had have been such gentlemen...best of luck..diana

google contacting airbnb + your location or use the search window above.  Find the community help guides.

Flag his profile.  

Giovanni103
Level 3
New York, NY

Well, I'm sorry you had to experience that. I'm sure you're wondering whether to be more grossed out or scared about it. One thing you know for sure which is that you're in such disbelief that you want to be telling the world about it. . . but as far as reporting it, I don't think you have any proof of illicit/indecent/illegal behavior. . . Sure he's been in your room, but if you were renting out your space to him and didn't lock your bedroom door when you left. . .

Babs0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Giovanni103, maybe he didn't do anything against the law but I'm sure you will agree that it is against the house rules if access to her bedroom is not mentioned. So there definitely is a basis to take it up with Airbnb.

Please flag this guest, @Rachael24!

Stephan23
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

There is got to be a way to name and shame, get this guys name out there this is MASSIVE #Airbnb needs security and safety and needs contact numbers. I hate how when I read peoples reviews and find that most of us urgently need to have a contact number to call this is a massive issue!!!??? 

Kelly83
Level 1
Ridgway, CO

The phone # i use to contact airbnb in the U.S. is 1.855.424.7262

they are always very helpful with any issues. Good luck & be safe. & always read reviews that other hosts have left about upcoming guests.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Australia phone 02 85203333

Also flag the profile. I would get a bedroom lock, and I would make a second picture in the profile featuring you and a guy (to put off guys like this one booking). Will it? Don't know, but anything is a deterrent. Or just accept women.

I feel for you, this is extremely unpleasant. What I would do right now is to make sure no windows have been made unlatched (by him) and also change the locks. Sorry to bring it up, but could he have made a key copy? At the very least have a chain or bolt on the door tonight. Don't mean to freak you out at ALL but this guy has form in breaking in.

I would actually report it as a crime as well. Because it is.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Wow @Rachael24!  So sorry you had this experience.  As you have seen, the host response is that you need to contact Air BNB.  Use the flag under his profile name and report his behavior.  You state you confronted him and he cancelled the next stay.  Did you do this confrontation via the Air BNB message system?  That would be the best way to keep a record of any communication with a guest.  Since this man has a criminal record of this behavior, reporting to the police would alert his probation officer and possibly result in further consequences to him.

Many single women with  a shared housing listing do not accept single male guests.  This would not be against the Air BNB anti-discrimination policy.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Terrible and SCARY!  What a creep!

Definitely contact Airbnb via the phone number and also flag his profile here on the site.

Write a factual review to warn other hosts in the meantime.

Dawn33
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

This would completely creep me out, too.

Did he break into your room or do your guests have access to your private living spaces?

I am certainly not blaming you (the victim), but we all need to take safety precautions as hosts --- safety for ourselves and our belongings. Women especially have to think of the worst case scenario and work from there to help prevent it.

Thank God that I haven't had any creeps that would make a copy of a key. Two weeks ago, I had a locksmith install a second lock on my front door. Guests get a key to that, but not to the other deadbolt which I lock when I am not here. My private living area is locked 24/7, too.

Please change your locks ASAP and lock your bedroom when you are home and when you are not home.

The sad thing is that this will probably make you wary of single male guests which is a shame.  Not all men are creeps.

Stacey18
Level 2
Calgary, CA

So sorry that was your experience. As a single woman, I do rent to men and have had so far great experiences. That being said, I will only accept verified guests and have added locks to my private living spaces, bedroom, office, storage for this reason exactly. I have also installed a keyless locking system on the front door so I can control how long they have access and delete anyone I don't want from the system. It's a bit pricey in the beginning but easier in the long run than changing out locks all the time. Your safety is paramount, I heard a police officer speak once and he said many women don't want to be rude and criminals count on that to victimize them.

That being said, it would be nice if AirBnB had a "hotline" or quick security link in the case of security issues more visible on the Hosting site, this is the second security related issue I have seen posted this morning, and both involved women hosts.

Rachael24
Level 1
Saint Kilda, Australia

Thank you everyone for the constructive comments. I managed to get onto air bnb and they have refered my incident to the security team. I've also lodged a report with the police, they were very interested and are going to check his file to see if any other recent complaints have been made against him. It's been a very good lesson for me as a new air bnb host. My locks are being changed and I'll never ignore my gut instinct again!