Requiring Verification?

Zachary0
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Requiring Verification?

Do most hosts require verification of your guests? If so, do you think it turns people away from your listing when you're asking them to provide gov't ID's? Any feedback here is greatly appreciated.

111 Replies 111

You must in Canada. 

You are absolutely correct William.

I don't think it is acceptable for hosts to insist on being sent a picture of every guest's ID prior to arrival.

This is putting all guests at risk.

EXACTLY!!! I won't use this site again if I'm asked for any digital copy of my license, passport or pictures of the guest-bogus policy!  You can ask to see it when I check in but never do this online- ever! This is how identities are stolen! 

Why not make yourself available so you can check the ID upon  arrival?  Maybe it makes you feel safe to require  a digital copy of someone's ID, but its sure sets up a whole lot of people to ID fraud by airbnb! I'm guessing paying in full isn't enough verification now..But I can simply call for reservations without a middle man at most rentals and feel my ID isn't being used for other purposes in your compliance process- good luck with that attitude . 

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

My view is that it's a biit of a red herring the verification process. You can insist that guests who stay with you have gone through AirBnBs verification process (for what it's worth). However, you really have to question the value of you setting yourself up as a verification agency. Having a copy of someone's driver's licence is no guarantee whatsoever that the guest will behave apprproriately or inaapropriately. There is always a risk - I think reviews from other hosts probably gives you the best information. I also go on gut feeling for those who are new to AirBnB and do not have reviews - if anything feels wrong about their contact/email etc then I go with my gut feeling an decline the reservation. We have probably turned away some very nice guests - but it's iimportant to feel comfortable with people staying in your home.

@

Why do you think every hotel motel bob wants your ID and credit card? To protect themselves. 

They are realistic. You're optimistic that guests will do no wrong. If renting to a stranger I'll protect myself. How are you going to make a police or insurance report when you don't know the legal name of your guest?

You don't seem to understand.

The issue is that there is a copy of a photo ID floating around in digital format for which customers have no idea or control over how this will be secured or handled. This is a potential identity theft risk of huge proportions. Of-course the issue of security is important for both hosts and guests - what about hosts that spy on and/or assault guests? That must be happening almost as much as property damage problems. Guests probably would happily show ID when they arrive - just like in any hotel but aren't happy to have information like that stored on the AirB&B - who cannot guarantee the security of those files - or can they? No information is available. Why?

Just to upload information willy nilly opens us all to cyber fraud and should be avoided.

I see this debate is over two years old but let me expess my opinion. Hosts do not attack guests, no, absolutely not, because one ocassion would be the last one for them to be an Airbnb host. You as a host tend to do the best for your guests as possible. And I am very sure about this because property damage is in most cases an accident but being rude or behaving badly towards your guests would be an intention. No one wants that. Civility is the best answer when any problem arise and it was through my five years as a host. 

If you've been a victim of ID theft you'd understand. You should try it out and see if you can ever file a tax return once your ID and SS number has been stolen.  And you mean to tell me when someone pays with a credit card that you don't have their name and address? 

@Catherine2627  When you book an Airbnb, Airbnb charges the credit card you have on file with them. They hold the guest's payment until after  the guest checks in before releasing it to the host.

At no point does a host have access to your credit card information, your address, or your full, official name unless you provide that information to them.

It's not about behaving properly.  For me it's about if illegal activity occurs or police are called for whatever reason (even noise) you have proper identification which is in some states (and countries) is required before you can rent to someone.  The country I rent in, it is required by law to have a copy of ID for any hotel, Hostel, B&B and tour operator by the property owner or tour company.  I know people don't believe that someone would commit a crime....but it happens, and if illegal activity does occur on your property and you don't have ID of guests when police talk to you....you too could be liable.  

Linda1339
Level 2
Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago

I agree with all of this but the one thing you didn't consider was not that hosts expect guests to behave appropriately after showing their ID, it is because if they do commit a crime, you know very well who was in your house and that person was verified by you - the most that can happen is that they presented a fake ID. This is very important for police work. That's the whole point of asking for ID's. 

Someone also mentioned human trafficking. There is also the taking of minors. So it worries me that if a couple, married or not bring a minor with them, I want to know the relationship and the name of the minor too. It could well be that the adults are the minor's aunt and cousin. But we all need to keep our eyes open for criminal activity that happens right under the noses of many hotel and motel rooms. Well hosts are not hotels and motels, we want assurance that the minors who may be brought along with a couple are truly the legal charges of the adults. If the minor isn't related and is just gifted a free trip, then we could at least have a name.

There is too much crime, we don't need to want to facilitate criminals if any of our guests just so happens to be one. It can happen to anyone. So this is so much less about property damage than it is about personal safety of the host and any minors who are tagging along with adults.

So are AirBnB hosts playing cops now? You are not mandated reporters. You have no right or authority to ask for identifying info on a child. Now, if you suspect something and want to tell someone THAT is your perogative. But asking for this as though somehow that protects your property or the child is naive. If someone is smart enough to smuggle a child, you don't think they already have a fake name picked out? 

Truth.