Reviews

Answered!

Reviews

I was recently reviewed by a guest who has never met me, neither has she seen the property. She did not reply to any of my messages or the messages that Air bnb sent regarding her booking. And I was given permission by Air by Bnb to only cancel the booking after her time of arrival. All the communication is on the Air bnb site to  see. The booking went through and Air bnb paid the booking fee into my account and will again take the paid fee from my further bookings. But this is a fraudulent review because the guest has not met me and she has not seen th property. Is there anything I can do about this please?

1 Best Answer
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Renee65  It appears that the guest reviewed the communication issues leading to the cancellation and your response explained what happened.  Should not be a problem for you in the future. 

View Best Answer in original post

34 Replies 34
Justine106
Level 3
Washington, DC

Hello, I am somewhat new to this whole AirBnb thing. Stumbled upon it through Tv/internet etc and in my quest to reduce travel expences, that is to say, avoid costly hotels, I thought it was a good option. So I have stayed in a place in Sydney, Austalia, hosted my own place, both of which were a huge success. Unfortunately, a recent booking in Gainesville, Florida (1940's cottage seen on FYI by Danny) was a complete disaster. Since I was required to stay in Gainesville at a hotel for one night prior, I took the opportunity to drive by the location of the house prior to the 3pm check-in. It was in a less than savory part of town. I took pictures quickly and contacted Airbnb for support. There was a partially boarded up (gun shot/bricks thrown?) Beer/Wine/Liquer store right across the road w/vagrants loitering and one sleeping on the sidewalk, a derlict home w/chain link fencing and all the weeks laundry strung out over it etc. This is NOT how the images are presented on their page. As for AirBnb, they were supportive since I sent pictures, however indicated that no-one is required to speak much of the surrounding area. I was refunded my money less one night and re-assured that I would be able to write a constructive review, though I did not eneter the facility and stated just that. Now, interestingly enough, my review is no-where to be found and my attempts and be provided an answer as to why it appears to have convenitently disappeared fell upon deaf ears. Add'l, the host left me a review stating I was a wonderful guest - HUH???? I NEVER STEPPED FOOT IN HIS PLACE. Seems to me that AirBnb focuses more on the financial gain of a deceptive host and their subsequent reviews and not that of a frustrated traveller who clearly proved that the surrounding neighborhood should be discussed/addressed. More importantly, where is my review indicating this?

A host is responsible for their property not everyone else’s. 

Farida12
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

What customer services the link is mainly advertizment for Airbnb. I am getting less and less interested in what Airbnb has to offer hosts I feel they are only there to advertise themselves rather then come to the point and solve our problems. I find them most unfair towards host, they expect us to instantly booking or else our booking will go to bottom of the listing in other words we must allow anyone in the house or else we are punished.

I list two room from my house, one of my last guest left long negative review out of vindictiveness just because I did not say what he wanted to hear and I was not willing to extend his stay when his wife joins in from Argentina. While he was staying here I had two guest in my other room who left great review for me and for my house being very clean but when this man wrote review for same period he wrote many lies after I on the other hand left him a great review. Airbnb did not bother to check how can same house be so filthy on same dates where other two  guest were so appreciative during same period instead they downgraded me on the whole and now my both room have waring. They say they would not remove any negative review even if it’s obvious lie and in the past they were quick to delete review where Airbnb were at fault.

This is rediclous that now guest are using review to black mail us if we don’t listen to their demands and Airbnb punishes us if we do not do instant booking.

I am so put off by Airbnb attitude towards host. They initially started to encourage homes to open their doors to guest but now they have no regard for people who are hosting privately, it won’t be long before private host stop inviting guest through Airbnb.

Customer Service Crap link is new way to invite people to listen to Airbnb advertisement first then they will come to a point, what a waste of time

Robert271
Level 2
Boulder, CO

Question. When a guest review is deleted by Airbnb does the star rating of the review still effect the host in total and the property?

@Robert271 in the past, we have heard from hosts who say that the a bad star rating still affected their average, even though the review supposedly was "removed" and was no longer shown in their list of reviews.

However, more recently we have heard hosts mention that the situation has changed, and that removed reviews no longer have any effect.

Be aware that the calculation of average rating doesn't update instantly, so the addition or removal of a review might not show an immediate effect.

CaptainRon0
Level 2
New York, United States

Airbnb, 
No one has called me about my suggestion to set up a fair and honest review system.. 
I have submitted a suggestion to Airbnb to change a unfair system of the reviews..mY system would be based on a Predetermined evaluation of FACTS 
Access, . . . . . Ex : If there is a push button axcess = 5 stars 
Location: . . . Public transportation Ex: The distancesfrom .Busses, 
Trains, airports, Restaurants and amusements = 5 stars 
Value . . . . . . . Pre determined by facts if the host keeps prices near 
the Airbnb suggested price range .
Please contact me so future guest will see what to truly expect when they book a place. Host will recieve a fair rating by FACTS. 
We can work together. Airbnb and host to develop a better experience. my Cell is 646-267-5900 ..
                                                                                                                       Captain. . Ron 
Post Script: . Facts are the answer. .

@CaptainRon0   This is a public forum hosts not AirBnB support. Please remove your phone number ASAP. Use the drop down arrow on the right corner of your post to edit it. You can call AirBnB or Tweet to them with a direct message to AirbnbHelp. 

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

For Superhosts (they will verify you):

North America: +1-647-945-9627 +1.888.326.5753

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Captain-Ron0Your supposed 'objective' scoring seem to be based on what YOU value in a listing.  I don't give 2 hoots about push-button access.  My listing is near none of the things you mention, it's in a very rural location and that's why I love it - by your criteria, only city properties would score.  Obviously you prefer the hell of the urban jungle.  Airbnb price suggestions are ludicrous - they want me to rent out an entire bungalow for £25 per night - you can't get 2 dorm beds in a youth hostel for that.

I don't know who the Captain Ron imposter is, but it's not me. I ran a ship on the water, and definitely am not any type of city dweller, for I'm not even a land dweller. 

@Captain-Ron0sorry, it was supposed to be @CaptainRon0

Maria2514
Level 2
Colombo, Sri Lanka

Airbnb CEO and Head of Community should review the Airbnb Reviews policy. It’s absolutely nonsense to authorize to unpleasant guests to leave the reviews after 14 days of their visit to host place. The Airbnb Reviews policy should protect hosts agiants the unpleasant guests who had already ccaused eenough of problems  to hosts during their stay. This kind of the unpleasant guests should be prevented of advertising their reviews on the host page. The ONLY possibility to do that is to keep the system that if host doesn’t review this unpleasant guest during the first 14 days after the checkout then the review of this unpleasant guest can’t appear in host page. Until now Airbnb authorize that any guest after 14 days cab’post à review even if the host doesn’t post the review. This practice is against HUMANITY!

Rhanks for protecting the hosts of unpleasant guests Reviews !

Good morning, unfortunately we hosts are slaves to the ignorance and misconduct of guests. The review system is not democratic but self-sufficient towards us. In my specific case, several explanations are written on my advertisement, for example that there is no kitchen. Despite this, guests don't read and say they don't have a place to wash dishes! We have self check-in and we send everyone the instructions, 95>% have no problems, then the incompetent on duty arrives and instead of saying that he hasn't watched the explanation video that we sent, he says it's complicated! We have chosen the only technology available for self check-in and we are not directly responsible for it, especially when the guest arrives late at night. We are unable to respond to the score and as a host we cannot even go too far to misjudge a guest. I recommend reviewing the review method by eliminating the scores. This is undemocratic and goes against our work! They will always find the expensive houses perfect and never the cheap ones!

@Vincenzo462 Your replies to negative reviews are probably more damaging than the reviews themselves.

why? If a guest says something wrong what I've to do?

Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

@Carolyn288 .. unfortunatley the phrase "would be better suited to a hotel environment" gives no clue what the problem was and if this would also be one for the next host. Therefore please address also the problem directly, like: 'with all his extra demands and trivial complaints he would be better suited to a hotel environment"