Room to be furnished, would you list it?

Daniella2
Level 2
Viana do Castelo, Portugal

Room to be furnished, would you list it?

Dear Airbnb friends,

I learned a lot in this community, so thank you so much for all the info that you have been sharing.

I listed a couple of rooms at my mums house. At the moment we are redecorating a 3rd room, in the process of buing a new bed and all the remaining furniture.The rest of the house is fully equipped.

Did you ever listed a room that wasn't ready, being clear about it, and that it will be ready by the time the guest arrives?Would that be even morally ok?

We live in the gorgeous city of Viana do Castelo/Portugal, but the demand is farway from Porto or London and NYC, so we are trying to be cautious about our spendings.

I would love to get your input on this subject.

Regards,

Dani

5 Replies 5
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Daniella2, I recommend waiting until the room is ready. Since you need to list it separately anyway, you gain nothing by advertising it prematurely. It could end up being confusing.

Regarding your other rooms (and the new one when it's ready), I strongly urge to to set a Security Deposit; change your cancellation policy from flexible to moderate or - my own preference - even strict; and make your House Rules much more specific and firm. 

Daniella2
Level 2

Thank you Donna!

Most of the inquiries for the rooms I have are for 2months from now.
I was thinking in posting photos of the room empty, and a photo of the bed I intend to buy, so the person at least has an idea of what to expect. Stating in the listing that it's under redecorating, that it will be ready in time for the guest stay, and that questions are welcome.

Do you still have the same opinion?

@Daniella2, yes I do. Why go to all that bother? Guests will see the photos and come when the room is ready, and the new listing is up.

I'd focus on tightening things up with the rooms you already list (i.e. my suggestions). 😉 

Daniella2
Level 2

Dear @Donna15,

Thank you for all the inputs.

In my area, nobody asks for security deposit, even on entire house rentals, and everybody has flexible cancellation policy.

My options were in order to be competitive, at least while Iam starting. 

In your opinion, the price should be enough to be competitive? Guests will not compare these other two options?

I agree with the recommendation that you only list rooms that are ready to rent now.  People are visual and an empty room would probably be a negative.  However, you could refer to the possibility of another available room in your description and invite potential guests to contact you.

As to security deposit, absolutely you should have it.  It allows Air BNB to access the payment card up to that amount should there be a claim but the guest does not have it charged before.  Security deposits send a message that you expect your home to be respected and cared for.

Cancellation policy is a matter of whether you have certain times of the year that guests will seek lock down reservations way in advance.  In my area, people sometimes book up to a year in advance for the popular music festivals.  Don't want guests changing their minds.  My cancellation policy is strict.  Only had it become an issue once so far.