SatelliteTV was out, guests want compensation

Julie-And-Charles1
Level 1
Baton Rouge, LA

SatelliteTV was out, guests want compensation

Unbeknownst to us, our satellite tv wasn’t working. Guest texted to let us know on the 2nd day. We called the vendor, had the guest speak directly with the vendor. Vendor said new equipment needed. 

Guest requesting compensation for no tv available during their stay. 

What amount is appropriate and how can we do this now that they’ve checked out?

5 Replies 5
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Julie-And-Charles1 

Tv is just one of x amenities and things you offer including the roof, beds, water, WIFI etc...  so I would agree to max 10% , I don't know...

Have you been to the apartment by yourself or you just trust your guest and vendor? Our guest said TV is not working so we went there and found one cable unplugged. The second time bateries in the remote controller died... it can be something similar. I would go and check by myself, first.

Julie-And-Charles1
Level 1
Baton Rouge, LA

We are going by the house later this week, that’s the issue, it’s in another state. We’ve had a lot of guests the last month, so we’re thinking it could be someone mixed up all the various remote settings (4 remotes present, but we had only 1 needed to control everything).

thanks for the thoughts. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

In my experience guests unplug cables and change them around ALL THE TIME. They connect to their own devices, replug things, change... Not every guest but often enough to see a pattern. Usually it takes a call to me and I go and replug. I check the sound system every changeover but not the TV/DVD. As I am hopeless at resetting channels when a guest has lost them I say in the listing description that TV reception is erratic but there are plenty of movies available. Literally hundreds. This way, they are forewarned and cannot claim compensation  if the TV isn't up to it.

Since you live in another state, I suggest you say the same. ''TV reception is unreliable and cannot be guaranteed though it is usually great'' or something like that.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Julie-And-Charles1  

I agree with Sandra. I am called over by guests at least once every month or so because some can't figure out the TV. It usually loses connection and needs to be reset or something gets unplugged. I have directions for troubleshooting and I believe that helps the majority. I think when you go to the house you are going to realize that it was a guest error so don't be so quick to refund a large amount.

Julie-And-Charles1
Level 1
Baton Rouge, LA

Very helpful information. Thank you,