Security deposit refund

Marsha7
Level 2
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Security deposit refund

My guest left over a week ago and still has not seen his security deposit refunded on his card.... How long does that take?
33 Replies 33
Yvette208
Level 1
Harare, ZW

Please advise how I get my Airbnb deposit back against a booking that has expired but I can’t find an actual booking on Airbnb but the money was taken from my account.

Hello @Yvette208 

Welcome to the the community boards.

Firstly I need to tell you for the future, when you need specific individualised help, it's best to create a new post or thread. You have tacked your question onto a thread that was created over 2 years ago - it would be very likely that no one even saw your question.

This community is just a group of interested guests and hosts trying to help each other out - we have nothing to do with the administration of airbnb.

Every host that I know is under the very firm impression that airbnb do not actually take any money from a bank account or credit card for a security deposit. They might ensure there are sufficient funds, but they do not withdraw the money.  That is what we have always been told, and this has been my direct experience both as a host and as a guest.

If you cannot even find the history of your past reservation, are you absolutely sure that you booked through the airbnb platform? Could it have been VRBO, or STayz? ( They DO take and hold the security deposit)

If you are sure it was via airbnb then your past reservations should still show. Go to your profile, select travelling, select trips - and under the heading "where you've been" your past reservations will show.  I can still see my reservations from 2015.   With that information, click help and follow the prompts to get a phone number to call airbnb to discuss.

Hope this helps

Regards

It was 100%  through Airbnb and was a direct charge taken out of my account.   We see everything in our Airbnb account. We have message traffic as well.   We've called and talked to customer support numerous times and they can't help us....they just tell us they see the charge and that it's been marked as "urgent" and moved to the correct department which does not have phone support so they can't transfer our call over to anyone else who might be able to help.  

We've stayed at several different rental locations and this has never happened before now. There are some wonderful memories made at each one but this one has been a huge pain.   I created a new post/thread. Thank you!  

Samuel--And-Amy-0
Level 2
St. Augustine, FL

Yes, unfortunately, we found this out after the fact.  They went by first names...look like a sweet couple and had good bios and reviews.  We thought they just had a few properties as some do and we've stayed at so many really great properties that have such warm and inviting hosts. I considered Airbnb for all our overnight needs...not so much anymore if this the way that business is going...what a shame for everyone really.