Short term rental income/expense/tax software

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Short term rental income/expense/tax software

Hi Everyone!

I just did my income taxes (late, I know, but July 15 is the deadline this year), and it struck me that I’m doing an awful lot of work manually to break down all of the short-term rental income and expenses.  I’m using a basic spreadsheet containing all of the expense columns as they are listed on the Schedule E (for US) tax form.  I also keep an accordion file of all of the paper receipts, grouped by the same categories.  Then I transfer all the amounts manually into TurboTax.  These are very old-school habits of mine I established way back when I first started having long-term rentals.

In this day and age, there’s gotta be a better way!

What are some straight-forward software packages out there for tracking all of this?  Looking for ease-of-entry as expenses occur, and possibly auto-upload into TurboTax.  I’d appreciate the name and/or website of what you use, as well as a short description of what you like about it.

Thanks!

Pat

2 Replies 2

Hi, I am testing WAVEAPP combined with a receipt APP...

I download CC statement into WAVEAPP, and then upload extra cash receipts, 

Free software, its a little clunky,  as the categories do not correspond with hotel expenses, per se...

I am in search of a better way as well, will be testing more in the coming weeks. 

Hi, I also tried WAVEAPP but this software didn't work for me. I read in the review https://reservety.com/best-rental-software/ about reservety, and I'm thinking of trying it out. Many people say that this software has a good customization, and it can be configured for its own functions, also has invoicing functions