Small amentity inconveniences prompts guests to want a full refund and stay the full reservation.

Answered!
Amy388
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

Small amentity inconveniences prompts guests to want a full refund and stay the full reservation.

My current guest who arrived last last night called me just now asking for a refund for the 5-night accommodation, but still plans to stay in the house. The reason for the request is the following items:

+ My house is considered a 2-Master bedroom house, and the headlines says such. The guest thought that meant there would be a larger bed in the front bedroom, and has 2 adults sleeping in the described double bed (as mentioned in the listing)

+ There are no ice cube trays. (not included in the listing)

+ There is a missing hand towel (this is my fault for not replacing it during cleaning)

+ There are spots on the floor (this happens after washing the tile).

+ There is no ironing board (there is an iron).

I can understand assumptions to small things that people have at home, but when we spoke by phone prior to the guest arrival, these specific items were not asked about. 

I am currently running out to the store to purchase these items and deliver. However, on policy, am I required to provide a full refund? I've never had a guest comment on any of things previously, and this is my first negative experience. 

How do you handle these small assumptions guests make? I want to provide the best experience, and maybe I've been lucky with easy-to-please guests.

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Amy388

Your guest is being ridiculous wanting to stay and at the same time have a full refund.

By all means replace the hand towel.

If you are going to provide an iron, you need to prove an ironing board or your guests could end up burning your furniture or floors using them as an ironing surface.

I don't understand the point about the 2 master bedroom house - if you have two bedrooms with a large bed ie double or queen bed in each and this is what you have described in your property then that is accurate. What were your guests expecting that they didn't get?

Offer the guest two options;

1. If they aren't happy with the accommodation they can leave and receive a refund. for the nights they aren't staying.

2. If they want to stay there is no refund.

Make sure you keep all conversations to Airbnb messaging. Message the guests now to confirm everything in the accommodation is as described in the listing, apart from one hand towel being missing, which you apologise for and are replacing offer them options one and two. Explain it isn't reasonable for them to expect to stay in the property for the duration and expect a full refund.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

You have no obligation to provide what is not listed in your amenities, @Amy388. Rather than dashing to the stores, start writing a review for that guest. Do include "better suited for a 5* hotel service" in it. And prepare for some flaming from him.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Amy388

Your guest is being ridiculous wanting to stay and at the same time have a full refund.

By all means replace the hand towel.

If you are going to provide an iron, you need to prove an ironing board or your guests could end up burning your furniture or floors using them as an ironing surface.

I don't understand the point about the 2 master bedroom house - if you have two bedrooms with a large bed ie double or queen bed in each and this is what you have described in your property then that is accurate. What were your guests expecting that they didn't get?

Offer the guest two options;

1. If they aren't happy with the accommodation they can leave and receive a refund. for the nights they aren't staying.

2. If they want to stay there is no refund.

Make sure you keep all conversations to Airbnb messaging. Message the guests now to confirm everything in the accommodation is as described in the listing, apart from one hand towel being missing, which you apologise for and are replacing offer them options one and two. Explain it isn't reasonable for them to expect to stay in the property for the duration and expect a full refund.

@Helen3

This is super helpful! I'm trying to balance reality and grossly misconstrued expectations. I do recognize there are things I can do and provide (the ironing board, ice trays) as they are not habits of my own personal life style. 

Thank you for the advice, it allows me to better find the balance, and set responsible expectations.

Thank you!