Smoking Fee

Kirk107
Level 1
Houston, TX

Smoking Fee

My wife and I were recently fined $50 for allegedly smoking inside of our hosts location. The home is located in an medical marijuana state, and smoking is explicitly permitted in given areas outside the house. We never smoked inside the house.

We smoked on two occasions on the front porch right next to the security cameras, and approximately 4hrs before we checked out in the backyard. Host claimed to detect a “faint  smoke smell” and asked what I could offer them to clean. I asked what exactly would need to be cleaned so I could give a reasonable offer. Co-host responded that I either pay them $50, or they will dispute with PayPal and charge more for itemization of the cleaning. 

We legally consumed medical cannabis in the designated locations of this property, and broke none of the house rules. If we HAD smoked inside the house, it wouldn’t be “faint smoke smell”, I assure you. I feel that if the smell of smoke can enter from the designated areas, then the host should find different areas or not allow smoking.

I’m not sure the motivation for charging this fee when we didn’t do anything wrong, but I’d like outside input. Security footage would show that we stepped outside to smoke in front of the house two times. Can the host assess this fee without listing it first? Would I have any chance at winning a dispute about this matter if the host can’t substantiate?

2 Replies 2
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Kirk107   Ludicrous.  The scented smoke will definitely drift to other areas, through screens or from area to area.  I had a guest who spent a long October weekend outside on a covered deck smoking and the whole house smelled of it.  But I knew he hadn't broken any rules and he was so happy there I didn't mind 🙂

Disputing through PayPal?  That's strictly against the rules.  ALL communication and transactions need to be done through the Airbnb message system.  I recommend that you message the host through the Airbnb app and reiterate that you smoked only in designated area.  If he/she tries to pursue this outside of Airbnb, you can report the host to Airbnb.  Very much frowned upon.  I don't think you'll have to pay this.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kirk107  I concur with Ann. However, the next time, try to smoke away from doorways and open windows, as the smell can definitely blow back into the house. If hosts allow outside smoking on the premises, I think they would do themselves a favor by setting up a comfortable smoking area, with a chair, a small table, an ashtray, and some cover from the elements, far enough away from the house that they won't be fussed about blow-back smell. If the only place to have a smoke outside if it's raining is huddled in the doorway, the host can hardly complain if there's some faint smell of it in the house.