Soaring energy costs in Ireland

Ultan41
Level 1
Wexford, Ireland

Soaring energy costs in Ireland

Hi How are Irish hosts dealing with electricity costs vis a vis longer-stay guests? We have metered supply in our apartment but haven't had to use it for Airbnb guests to date - guests have not been charged. We now have a tenant booked in for a month starting October 7th. There is no reference to an energy charge in their letting agreement but the issue must be addressed. 

9 Replies 9
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can't charge guest for utility usage if that is not something you have declared on your listing @Ultan41  but there is nothing to stop you introducing a meter for bookings going forward as long as it it is clearly stated up front in your listing and your house rules @Ultan41 

Helen3 Yes - thats Airbnb's view also. We'll chat to the person concerned; common sense will prevail....

@Ultan41 I suspect you will have to write up a series of handy hints and prompts and post them around about . like turn off the lights as you leave a room or the most efficient way to use fixtures and fitments and grin and bear it . engage your guests in a conversation about saving electricity and gas for the planet or have 'an earth hour' every night where everyone sits around outside in the dark for a while . Get some fun posters and explain it to your guests how you will have to charge extra for the next guest but if you could just give it a trial run to try and save some power , most will oblige or pop suggestions in your house rules , like making sure people have a full load before turning on the washing machine and using the clothes line instead of the dryer. H

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen744 

@Helen744 wrote:

like making sure people have a full load before turning on the washing machine and using the clothes line instead of the dryer. H

I keep trying this and it hasn't been so effective recently, at least not with the majority of guests, even though we've had a lot of warm, dry weather. I wonder what is the next step.

I changed my house rules a few months ago to specify one load of laundry per week per guest, but people totally ignore this. I feel like many are very touchy about their laundry being limited. Anyway, after a week of very intensive usage, my washing machine gave up the ghost... Could just be a coincidence I suppose, but it was really reliable until now. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ultan41 Common sense will only prevail if you deliver what the guest has been promised which I suspect doesn't include extra charges for power

O'h, blessed are the righteous! Common sense entails recognising and acknowledging the changed circumstances - even in England . By, for example, agreeing to turn off all power when not in residence. That would not in any way alter the contract.  

@Ultan41 Nothing righteous here. Its just simple contract law. Clearly you can request a guest to be careful with power usage but you cannot make them comply or charge them something that is not in said contract.

Interestingly you have not updated your listing with your energy expectations even though high energy prices have been with us for a while now.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ultan41 

I have to concur with @Helen3 and @Mike-And-Jane0 . You can't just slap extra charges on the guest after they have booked. How would you feel if you booked accommodation and that happened to you? Imagine booking a hotel room, arriving, and being told at reception, "Oh, by the way, energy prices have gone up, so we've raised your room rate."?

I know it's tough, but you can raise your prices or introduce an additional charge for energy going forward, as long as you make it crystal clear on your listing (probably a good idea to also include this in a message to prospective guests if they missed it). What you cannot do is change the pricing or terms for existing bookings.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hey everyone @Ultan41 

Thank you for your comments on this. I know this is an older post already, but I wanted to let you know that we’ve recently started a topic regarding energy costs and we’re collecting tips on how to manage them. We’d love to get your input too, so please don’t hesitate and come share your experiences and advice!

You can find my post here:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Has-your-Hosting-adapted-due-to-the-energy-crisis/td-p/1...

Thanks!

Sybe

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen