Some simple manners

Ellen33
Level 9
Assenede, Belgium

Some simple manners

I am a non-native english speaker so there could be some mistakes in my written english...anyhow.

I am writting not because i have a problem or question but because i am annoyed. I always try to get back to people really quick. Mostly within 10 minutes or within the hour. 

When they have questions about our listing i answer them honestly and correctly.

Can be morning, afternoon, evening. Anoyingly enough sometimes night. Now we mute our cellphone who has sms alert when we had an inquiry not to wake up. What really annoys me: a lot of people apply saying get back to me as soon as possible. We do. And after the 24 h pre approved passes without them having the decensy to say that they will not be staying but thanks anyway.

That really annoys me. Just wanted to share that. 

3 Replies 3
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

When I started on airbnb, some potential guests sent enquires and often, nothing more was heard back from them.

Sometimes, after the visit dates had passed, from my curiousity, I clicked back on their profile checked to see if and where else they decided to stay - maybe I could pick up some understanding I thought. Sometimes they did have a review left, more often there was nothing more so perhaps they didn't travel, chose a hotel instead or decided not to leave a review- who knows? Very rarely will someone explain why they are going somewhere else, and there is no obligation to do so.

Anyway, I think it is quite typical for the communication to stop abruptly. Sometimes Airbnb send a message that the 'guest no longer requires accomodation for these dates'.

It may seem annoying but it's part and parcel of airbnb. Don't take it personally, because it's not you - it's other people and you just can't control what other people do or how they decide to conduct themselves.

You may do this already, but I suggest to have some saved replies ready or a bank of answers where you can cut and paste a reply efficiently. Do your reply then immediately archive the incoming message. Then just fuhgeddaboudit.

If they look, they'll look - if they book, they'll book.

Hi Elena, 

Thanks a lot for your response...and sorry that it took me ages to get back to you. Quite ironical when that was kind of the topic. 

I always handle our listing from the app from smarthphone. I was able to a topic but was not able to write a reaction on it, or on other topics from my mobile. 

For me personally its not really about them asking for info and not booking... its just about the fact that they dont get back to us. 

I dont need to know why they are not coming. Just a simple: thanks for the info but we decided not to book with you would do. 

By the way, your listing in SPB looks great. Its still on our to do list, as the rest of the world

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Ellen33

When a guest has sent an inquiry or request to book, there is a pop-up saying something like 'you don't know if you'll get the accommodation, so best to send out some more inquires just in case'. Most guests just copy and paste and in the end simply accept the first place that accepts them. I've stopped being annoyed by it. Or at least I try not to be... esp. if it really sounded like they wanted my place and I got into a bit of detail answering!