Someone hacked my account and booked a $4000 stay

Alexandra188
Level 1
Gurley, AL

Someone hacked my account and booked a $4000 stay

Long story short, someone accessed my account in China, had a long conversation during with the host, paid $4000, and stayed in a room in Malaysia!!!!!! I don't understand how this could've happened...they changed the email address (and added a credit card), but I was still able to access my account through facebook login. 

I can't get in touch with Airbnb's customer service!! Has anyone else had this happen?

3 Replies 3
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I do not know how it happened to you, there are many ways, most common seems to be phishing attacks where you click on a link that leads you to a fake site and then you enter you information to 'log on'.

David
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

United States +1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free) or DM using twitter at @AirbnbHelp

This seems like a hot topic at the moment.

Criminals can use a airbnb hijacked account to launder money, divert genuine payments to other accounts and the most likely to use stolen credit card details to extract a payment.

I doubt if the criminals stayed anywhere, they need a hijacked host and traveller account, details of a stolen card then try to get to the payout and vanish before anyone notices, including the credit card company.

If you use the same password for emails as you do for airbnb, criminals can easily run a check to probe different sites you use to attempt to gain access - always use different or varied passwords , and make use of the automated warnings on your account settings to be alerted to suspicious behaviour.

Use the methods at the top of the message to contact airbnb.

My AirBnB account was hacked in February 2017 by someone in Los Angeles who booked a place in Beverly Hills for $1,000 that same night.  He added his profile picture, a stolen credit card and changed my email address.  I was automatically notified by AirBnB when my email account was changed.  I immediatly called AirBnb and notified them and also notified the host.  Within a hour or so, my account was blocked and I had no access to it for about two weeks.  The frustrating thing for me was that the front-line people at AirBnB had no access to my account while it was blocked, and the back-end fraud folks were unreachable--I could only wait and hope for the best.