St Thomas USVI Sin Tax 2017 Room Tax $25. Anyone know if they have it established with Airbnb ?

Cay0
Level 2
Remsenburg-Speonk, NY

St Thomas USVI Sin Tax 2017 Room Tax $25. Anyone know if they have it established with Airbnb ?

I called IRB, looked on government websites in the VI but can't get a clear answer on if and when the per room sin tax will be implemented or how it will be collected - directly to the government from Airbnb or as hosts we have to pay, if so where and how?  Anyone got real information?  I called the local IRB and was told to contact Airbnb!!  What a mess, as usual.

3 Replies 3
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

I dont have any exact information, but I would assume it would first be payable directly by the host and then after a while Airbnb may come to an agreement with the government to collect it on the host's behalf.  This is how most US states have gone.

Now two years later, the occupancy tax (not the "sin tax") is 12.5% and is collected  by AirBnB.  I am a permanent resident of St Thomas, so I have to file my income taxes in the Territory.  I have not received an answer from AirBnB about whether they give it to our IRB or to the IRS.  If they give it to the IRS, I don't know how I get credited for it by our IRB.  In case you don't know, our federal tax dollars go directly to the territory's Internal Revenue Bureau--this is part of the age-old arrangement because we US citizens living here cannot vote in federal elections.  

Linda556
Level 1
Virginia Beach, VA

I have confirmed that the timeshare resort will charge it to the occupant during their stay.  It won't be charged to the owners.  So should be disclosed in the listing that the airbnb renter will have to pay this at the end of their stay to the resort directly.