That's it, I quit. AirBnB, that is. Who needs it?

Roger68
Level 3
Roanoke, VA

That's it, I quit. AirBnB, that is. Who needs it?

I just joined Air BNB last night...ready to quit today. I just don't like the way they do business. They control the booking process with out input fro the host or the renter. There is no chance for a dialogue before booking. IDON'T LIKE ANYONE TELLING ME THAT MY RESERVATION IS BOOKED BEFORE I SAY SO!. FINALLY NO ONE TO TALK TO IF YOU ARE IN A HURRY FOR AN ANSWER. I spent the better part of a day working a stay out with a first time renter...trying to get a deal that we both could live with.....because we were both facing a total of 10% undisclosed fees together if we canceled a firstimde booking for both of us. Meanwhile I have been waiting for

19 Replies 19

Hi @Roger68 I completely agree there is a great big world outside of this Airbnb one, and the way you handle your bookings elsewhere is completely appropriate for that other world. However, Airbnb has a different operating platform - so, if you are going to list on Airbnb, you will have to learn their system and do it their way. 

Airbnb handles all the money - you are not allowed to arrange payment by Paypal or check prior to arrival. Your listing, as it stands now, is at risk for being reported to Airbnb for violation of their terms.  Airbnb collects payment from the guest upon booking and releases that payment to you, the Host, usually 24 hours after the guest checks in. All reservations are confirmed through the Airbnb messaging system. Airbnb does not want guests & hosts communicating off of their platform or exchanging money outside of Airbnb - this is not meant as an affront/insult to you, but rather for your protection. That is why your website link and emails are all blocked on your listing. @Jennifer178 is not wrong.

If you'd like to have your listing on Airbnb, you will need to learn the basics of the format and conform to the requirements, the same as any other site. It is a different way of doing things from other sites and has advantages and disadvantages just like any other. Everything you need to know can be found in the Help Centre, or by asking questions here. This forum is a place where Hosts try to answer questions other Hosts may have & is NOT staffed by Airbnb employees. We are Hosts, the same as you.

Perhaps Airbnb isn't right for you - and although many of us here have great success with this platform, it certainly isn't a good fit for everyone. I think everyone here will agree with you that the process of setting up and editing your listing isn't intuitive - it can be very tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy. Best of luck! - Karen

Jane267
Level 9
Houston, TX

I used to book on Airbnb but there have been so many changes it's a waste of my time.  The rate postings are just flat out lies.  This 100 dollar room for two night is really 576 dollars?  Ridiculous cleaning fees and per person charges have made me realize that hosts are idiots and hotels are less expensive and have more to offer.

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Roger68 Sorry to hear that you are already leaving Airbnb If one day you will want to come back I would advice you to make yourself familiar with the rules and regulation of Airbnb before you start hosting. Good luck but  remember one thing beforr you leave Airbnb is the best website in the World for short terms rental!!! 

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

To me is a waste of time to talk to you you know it all you know what I mean Is just Lol 

Joseph199
Level 1
Wilkesboro, NC

I sympathise with your frustration, but no need to get upset and explain yourself to others here who seem to be happy with how airbnb operates. Airbnb is also not for me.

There are plenty of other venues out there. Airbnb has  gotten a little too big for their britches and it is about making money as well as the effects of supply and demand. Pretty typical of companies like this. They push the envelope to see how much they can make. I don't blame them. It is their business model. We don't have to like it as well, but it does not bother me. I just quit using them, unless I am desparate....which is really never 🙂

I have a couple of houses that I rent and looked at adding those to airbnb. The fees and contract were quite laughable. Airbnb gets their cake, but is not responsible for anything. This is not for me.  I'd much rather use my local realtor. They are more accountable and governed by thier localies if things go south. I can also reach them on the phone quickly and know they are an interested party and nearby the properties.

Like I said, there are plenty of other venues, especially if you are in an area that is popular.

On the flip side; As a rentor, I have come across a few flakes that rent their homes on airbnb. They cancelled at the last minute and gave some **bleep** and bull story to why. This has happened more than once. I also ended up in shady neighborhood once, which local crackheads walked by all night long. I can't blame airbnb for that. Safety is not built into their model, nor is it their responsibility (to some extent).

My girlfriend and I used airbnb quite frequently, as rentors, until they jacked their rates. This in turn made owners add in fees so they could recoup. I totally understand this. Does not mean I have to like it as a consumer. It also means I don't have to use the service. A quick google search shows this has continued to frustrate all whom are renting their homes and the rentors. Airbnb is no longer my go to site when I travel. I actually just scour other sites, call local realtors, or make online friends in the areas I visit to  get phone numbers for me. Social media has become a better avenue.

The irony is pretty comical to me coming from a company that started as a cheap place to rent an air matress on the floor. They have become what they were against.

Good luck to all.