Third party rented for Coronavirus quarantine

Dana858
Level 2
Pflugerville, TX

Third party rented for Coronavirus quarantine

Hi All,

Just found out that the man I thought I rented to (Khang) is not the actual person that checked in.  Turns out the man that checked in, just got in from Europe and has been exposed to Coronavirus.  So, I have reported all of this to Airbnb, reported his account and sent him a bill for ‘extra services’, since he did not tell me my home was going to be used for a medical quarantine.  Still have not heard from Airbnb.  My son just had surgery and both my kids have asthma.  Other family members also have compromised immune systems.  I have contacted two hazardous materials removal companies to get estimates on disinfecting the entire home.  Looks like it will cost a little more than $30,000 to dispose of everything that cannot be sanitized, disinfect the entire house and then re-purchase sheets, pillows, etc, everything that I had.  Beware if someone wants to rent your house for 14 days-21 days.  Any suggestions?  Thoughts?  Is anyone else going through this and what was the outcome?

19 Replies 19
Dana858
Level 2
Pflugerville, TX

Hi Kia- We don’t know if he as Covid or not, still.  I tried to order a test online, but none are available for the public.  I also reported this to  the CDC, State health dept, City Health dept and 311/911.  They all said not to worry, even though they could not tell me what to do next.  I feel like I have done my due diligence.  Great idea to turn off instant booking!  I will do that.  I have a lot of washing in my future.  Thanks!

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Dana858 the fact is that any guest could be in the asymptomatic stages of infection, at this point. That is my current working assumption. If this one is quarantined in your space for 14 days then at least you will have the benefit of knowing one way or the other before cleaning.

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Dana858 I’ve been following information given by the World Health Organization. Here is the link: 

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dana858  John Hopkins University, Mayo Clinic, best to stick to reputable sites and real medical info. All manner of incorrect and fear-inducing info on the web, and I wouldn't trust the CDC right now, either. Too much info being manipulated and suppressed for me to have confidence in it.

Alice981
Level 1
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Dana858 - really interested to hear this. I'm a journalist writing a piece about short term rentals and coronavirus quarantines. Would you be happy to have a quick chat? The best way to get in touch is alice.hancock@ft.com. Thanks