UK July 4th Opening - Two separate house holds / Self checkin issues

Luke279
Level 6
Bristol, United Kingdom

UK July 4th Opening - Two separate house holds / Self checkin issues

The UK government when opening back up to the public on July 4th has stated two separate households are allowed to stay together in self contained accommodation, but how do we as hosts regulate this? 

I can see major issues with groups booking, being all from separate households not caring for the regulations set out. Does this invalidate our insurance policy? Is self checkin now not possible as we need to confirm and record all details of every single person staying? 

10 Replies 10
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Luke279 Interestingly another host (can't remember who) supplied a link to an existing English law that requires accommodation providers to record the names of all guests staying. I suspect 90%+ don't bother with this (or even know about it).

There is a law that requires a record of all guests - whoever takes the booking must keep that record - in this case, it's AirBnB that must keep the record

Kerry14
Level 3
Newquay, United Kingdom

@Luke279  Do you have a link where the government has stated they can stay in rented accommodation or if it has to be their own home? New rules are clear as mud. 

I’ve had to pass ID to local council to host key worker so guess easiest way is to ask for ID from all guests from person who booked? 

Louise565
Level 2
Hayfield, United Kingdom

New UK Gov. guidelines say 2 families can use my holiday home from 4th Jul. My first 3 bookings are  all groups of 8 male friends! Am I allowed to host them? I am not comfortable with this and would prefer to cancel all 3 bookings but worry that I will be penalised for doing so, having to pay fees and losing superhost status. Anyone else in the same predicament?

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Louise565 

I think if you can contact airbnb and confirm that these groups do not fall under the regulations stated above (provide proof of this this requirement also), this should be enough as to cancel penalty free but please contact Airbnb (heard that Twitter is best) and get them to confirm it was done in that manner. For now, whilst everything is up in the air maybe also consider getting off Instant Booking (if you are on it), as to be able to vet guests before confirming any reservations. 

Good luck! 

Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Losing superhost status is the thing you're most worried about?

Personally I'd be more concerned that if guests break the law, the local authority could shut you down. The Health & Safety Executive could also take enforcement action against you.

Jo652
Level 1
Uffington, United Kingdom

Yes, we host up to 16 guests in one Holiday cottage. Our guests are mainly hen parties and friends gatherings, so there will be multiple households staying. All bookings are usually taken a year in advance. As hosts we will need to take details of each guest and we are assuming many different addresses for each booking! This puts us in the position of having to cancel bookings if we receive more than two addresses. Or do we let the guests decide for themselves? Who is responsible for policing this? 

Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

You. Always you.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jo652 In answer to the question 'who is responsible for policing this' it will depend on how the law is written. Sadly the Government has not yet written/passed/published (not sure which) the law yet so we don't know. 

As and when they get around to amending the coronavirus act it will appear here:

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350

Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

The UK Government has published the guidance / rules - these are the law - they are on the gov.uk website.

Part of this is that accommodation providers must give information to guests - that will include saying "people from a maximum of 2 households may share".

If someone books and says they are from 3 households, you should tell the guest that this is not allowed and they should cancel or book 2 separate properties etc.

If they don't tell you, it's entirely down to the guests for breaking the law.