Very bad host experience and no support from Airbnb

Sreeni0
Level 1
Saint Paul, MN

Very bad host experience and no support from Airbnb

I had a very bad experience with the host. When I requested to cancel, she rejected it. Then contacted Airbnb a few hours later. Airbnb support is not acting on it. They are saying, they need evidence about the bad experience. When the host is verbally abusive, what evidence can you provide? She is highly abusive and threatening.  After a few days, Airbnb is saying, I did not even cancel and thus they are closing the issue. They have to look into the full issue before responding. Why there are no checks on hosts/guests on abusive behavior? I made a mistake of not calling cops. Is that want Airbnb wants in these scenarios?

6 Replies 6
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Sreeni0 can you give a bit more info? What triggered the hosts bad behavior? 

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.
First,  if you have a problem of this nature,  you should cancel immediately or ASAP if possible (if you have another viable option for housing).    If you don't cancel,  there's a "it must have not been that bad" argument.
Next,  document.  Turn on cell phone and record it.  Have some kind of proof,  or it's your word against there.  If that fails,  write it up in the Message Center "you said X and were Y;"  give the host a chance to respond inappropriately or to confirm your account.
Otherwise,  I'm with Ana.   ABB can't be there and monitor everything,  but they strongly discourage bad behavior.  We need to know more to help and guide.

Sreeni0
Level 1
Saint Paul, MN

I turned on A/C as it is too hot. She got too upset. Next day, I said, I am leaving as I cannot live in such a heated condition. She got too upset and became very mad. She started using very bad language and said, I better leave. Such hosts should be banned from Airbnb.

Sreeni0
Level 1
Saint Paul, MN

I cancelled the reservation. She rejected. Then I opened a support ticket in few hours and requested a full refund. Airbnb is saying, I did not report within 24 hrs of check-in and thus they cannot help. Not sure if Airbnb rep looked into my cancellation request and she rejecting OR I requesting full on the same day when the incident happened.   It is more than 3 days and no response from Airbnb rep either. That thread is just hanging in there. Ideally, Airbnb should accumulate host related feedback instead of showing them per listing. This host has 3 listings and my feedback is not reflected in other listings. This misleads paying customers. 

@Sreeni0  If you canceled the reservation on Airbnb app, there is no way for a host to reject the cancellation.

What was the temperature when you turned on the AC and what temperature you put the termostat at? These were all have to be considered when you received support from Airbnb.

I read a post on this forum a few days ago that a guest called Airbnb support to cancel a reservation while the room temperature was 71 F. His reason was too hot. For a shared environment, a temperature will need to be in the comfortable range of all people staying in the house.

Good point. The temperature was 80 degrees and wanted it to be at least 75 degrees. I did not change the thermostat temperature. Rather I turned the unit on.