Waivers for homes on lake or water front

April103
Level 1
Rixeyville, VA

Waivers for homes on lake or water front

Hey y’all! 

We own Hidden Lake Forest which is in a private lake community. We wanted to see how others handle a waiver of liability to use of Kayaks, boats, swimming. 

9 Replies 9
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Had considered making kayak available but

- will make people stay beyond checkout if they use them, then want to change, shower etc 😞

- if they get in trouble, you know who they will call...

- adds more work, need to brief guests on what to do, where to go, life jackets in different sizes blah blah

instead I point folks to commercial rental over the lake 🙂

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

We have lake-front vacation rentals. No specific liability waiver for that, but house rules stipulate risks, we assume no liability, etc. We also offer SUP/kayaks; each guest must e-sign liability waiver to get access to those. We also stock PFDs in all sizes for guests.

Hello @Lisa723 , I am brand new to Airbnb and am hosting a lake front property. I too am concerned about water front liability for swimming or kayaking. 

has anything changed for you since 2018 when you originally posted this?

Do you have any new suggestions or have you been okay with just a the house rules note stating no liability? Would this note or Airbnb actually protect you in the case of a lawsuit?

Thank you!! 

@Chau72 we are no longer renting, as of January of this year. We never had any accidents or incidents. You need to check with your insurer. They will tell you what they require.

@Chau72 What did you end up doing? We are preparing to add our 3rd Airbnb but it is the first one with access to a large pond and a dock. I think we are leaning first toward getting advice from insurance agent, second getting a waiver if they want access to the dock and third putting signage in place and all over listing about risks of pond use. I would love to hear how things have gone for you. 

April103
Level 1
Rixeyville, VA

@Pete28 We don’t have a rental source in our area, but would like to offer a little fun for the lake. @Lisa723 Where did you find your waiver, or could you send me a copy of it? 

Thanks,

April

I appreciate the help Lisa.