What are people doing to comforters in between guests?

Shelly182
Level 2
Stowe, VT

What are people doing to comforters in between guests?

Hello, I have been washing my comforters between every use but heard of some people using a disinfecting spray on the comforters instead of washing in a pinch? Do people have recommendations on what types of sprays are safe during COVID? What does everyone do? 

Thank you 

23 Replies 23
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Shelly182,

I use zippered bed bug allergen comforter protectors on my duvets, and remove and wash the duvet covers between guest stays.  I also use Febreze sanitizing fabric spray on my curtains, and upholstered furniture.

@Shelly182  I grew up with American-style comforters at home, but in rented accommodation I honestly find them disgusting. IMO any fabrics that make contact with a guest's body should be fully laundered, so European-style duvets with washable covers will make your life so much easier. This also allows you to alternate duvets seasonally.

Disinfecting sprays are absolutely not an appropriate substitute for washing your bedding. Not only can the chemicals be irritant to a significant portion of people; they do nothing to make the fabric actually clean. After an antimicrobial spray, the numerous bodily secretions, skin oils, product residues, and creepy-crawlies that travel with guests are all fully intact - albeit with an additional unpleasant odor layered on top. Even a little thing like a hair found on the comforter can be enough to convince a guest that your home is unsanitary; why take the chance on even worse?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Anonymous 

Agreed. I don't get it either. Any bedding that may have come in contact with the skin must be washed and so I use duvets with covers. I do actually wash the duvets, quilts and mattress/pillow protectors between guests, not just the covers, but as I host long-term, that's not really a problem. Even if I have guests checking in one after the other, I have enough spares for this to be possible.

I understand that if you host back to back short stays, that's another matter. However, right now we are supposed to have a gap between guests right? So, that should allow enough time to wash everything.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Huma0,

I usually use duvets like you and @Anonymous.  I rarely have long-term guests, and wash the zippered protector and duvet cover between every stay, but the duvet will be cleaned or exchanged about every two to three weeks.  I also have bed quilts like @Mark116 for the seasons when it's not cold enough for a duvet.

Location of the rental is a contributing factor in determining appropriate bedding.  In the US southeast, comforters and duvets are necessary mostly during just the winter months.  In the spring and autumn a quilt or bedspread, and during the summer a light coverlet will suffice (I use only the duvet cover).

I use Nellie's laundry soda to clean bedding, towels, window sheers, and provide it for guests to do their personal laundry, because it doesn't contain many of the chemicals that are in most detergents.  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 

Yes, definitely location/climate will determine what bedding you supply, but also the nationality of the guests. I find this can really make a difference, especially in the Winter months. Besides that, people seem to vary a lot in their preferences for temperature when sleeping. 

So, I just provide everything. That means a variety of different types of pillows, the duvet and a thinner/lighter quilt (plus extra duvet in the wardrobe if needed). 

I also realised shortly after I started hosting that American guests expect a top sheet, which is not something that is common here outside of hotels and boarding schools! So, when I have an American guest coming, I include that as well.

There is a lovely American guest whom I've hosted three times already and who will hopefully visit again sometime. When she first arrived, she had come straight from another Airbnb in London. I asked her how it was. She said it was lovely, but frowned at the same time. I asked what was wrong and she said there was no top sheet. She could find no other fault with the listing, but that one missing item (deemed essential by her) really coloured her opinion of the place.

Oh dear. I had not put one on her bed, but I quickly remedied that!

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Huma0,

Oh yes, the standard sheet set sold in North America consists of a top sheet, bottom sheet, and 2 to 4 pillowcases.  I am so used to having a top sheet that I cannot sleep comfortably without it even if it's thin as tissue paper. Particularly in St. Lucia where I use it also as defense against those one or two pesky mozzies that want to feast while I am sleeping.  I know that people have different bedding requirements and sleep habits, but the most puzzling request that I receive is when non-islanders visit and ask for a blanket, because they are cold at night.  I give them the duvet cover, but want to say, "Try turning up the AC temp from 19C, and maybe you wouldn't be so cold."

I wonder if your guest mentioned to her previous host that she would like a top sheet.  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 

I doubt she mentioned it to the host actually.

That's interesting to know. Here bedding sets do not come with sheets at all, but with a duvet cover, plus pillowcases (one for a single and two for anything larger). You always have to buy sheets and anything above two pillowcases separately.

I've never seen anyone here use a top sheet in their own homes, but it would be common in hotels. I guess the fact that we are using washable duvet covers rather than a comforter that is maybe not washed that often, combined with the fact that the weather rarely gets warm enough to sleep only with a top sheet, makes it a bit redundant. However, I do think a top sheet is a very useful thing in warm weather.

Yep. I love it when guests do stuff like that, e.g. ask for the heating to be turned on in the middle of June and then open all the windows and spend their entire stay wearing a vest top and shorts.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Huma0,

In the US, the more commonly sold bedding sets are duvet sets (cover, pillow shams, and sometimes decorative pillows), sheet sets (two sheets and pillowcases), and complete bedding sets or bed in a bag set (comforter, pillow shams, bed skirt, two sheets, pillowcases and sometimes decorative pillows).  Only some queen and king sheet sets will include 4 pillowcases.  Two pillowcases are standard for those size beds along with full/double beds, and just one pillowcase for twin/single beds.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

We gave up on comforters because for the queen bed they have to be taken out to be washed in the giant commercial machines, which in addition to costing $25 each time, simply destroys the comforter in a few months, because they were not made to be washed several times a month.  We use quilts instead, much easier.  

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Comforters are the first thing to be dumped off my bed (along with cushions) when in the USA.
Vile, nasty things with an unknown 'history', pandemic or otherwise.

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Shelly182   Being German, using duvets and duvet covers comes natural.  😉   We use a heavier feather duvet for the winter, and a lighter one for the summer.   We also use zippered duvet protectors.  The duvet covers obviously get washed/changed for every guest.  I have found this to be the most hygienic method.   Personally, I have never liked the American-style comforters since they are difficult to wash and maintain.   

@Ann489 Do the zippered duvet covers have ties in the four corners? Which brand do you use?

@Emilia42     I use the Pottery Barn zippered duvet protectors.  They fit so well, you don't really need ties on  the inside.  The protector has loops on the outside so that you can attach the actual duvet cover to it.  I found this combination to work very well.   The only drawback would be the cost(about$70 when I purchased these three years ago).   They have, however,  held up very well and saved my nice feather duvets more than once! 🙂)

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I wonder why it is that only Americans use the top sheet? There must be some reason/story behind how it evolved.  As an American, I definitely think the top sheet is better+more sanitary,+better presentation, but then, I would think that, wouldn't I?