What does "Base Rate" actually mean?

Answered!
Alison273
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

What does "Base Rate" actually mean?

I am finding that the rates quoted to my guests is never accurate - so frustrating because I am not sure what I am doing wrong. If I have an apartment that sleeps 4 with a sliding scale according to the number of guests, how to I show that on the base rate?

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Alison273

Hi Alison, When you wish to set a minimum price for your listing firstly turn off Smart Pricing if you have it acitivated! Smart pricing can in certain circumstances undercut your regular nightly price.

To set your 'Base Price' go to your listing editing page and scroll across to 'Pricing' . You will see a page that looks like this.....

Discount page.png

Click 'Edit' and set your Base price. Once you have done that scroll on down in that same section until you come to 'Extra Charges' and this is where you can set a fee structure beyond your base price....

Extra charges.png

I hope this helps with your enquiry Alison....all the best.

Cheers......Rob

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Alison273

Hi Alison, When you wish to set a minimum price for your listing firstly turn off Smart Pricing if you have it acitivated! Smart pricing can in certain circumstances undercut your regular nightly price.

To set your 'Base Price' go to your listing editing page and scroll across to 'Pricing' . You will see a page that looks like this.....

Discount page.png

Click 'Edit' and set your Base price. Once you have done that scroll on down in that same section until you come to 'Extra Charges' and this is where you can set a fee structure beyond your base price....

Extra charges.png

I hope this helps with your enquiry Alison....all the best.

Cheers......Rob

Alison273
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks so much Robin - huge help!
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

An added note: many hosts (of course depending on their situation) find setting a price for 'first two' a great way to go and then extra charge per person beyond two.

What does base price actually mean? If I have a single room then I assume that one person will occupy my single bed at the "base price" I've set. However if I also have a twin room to accommodate 2 persons how do I set another price for the 2 persons staying? Am I misunderstanding the obvious?

A clear explanation for someone who is new to Airbnb would be very helpful.

'base price" set.

@Anonymous you base rate is just how much your listing costs per night if no other factors change the price.

Some things that can change the price:

1. Custom rates
  2. Weekly / monthly discounts
  3. Special offers
  4. Cleaning fees
  5. Per Guest charges

If you have a single room (that you want to charge a certain amount for),

and you have a twin room (a different room, I assume, that costs a different amount),

then you are supposed to set up two separate listings (assuming you want to allow two different groups to book the two separate rooms.)

If you have two separate rooms but you only want one group to be able to book them... then you have to get creative because there isn't a way to charge per *room*. You can charge per *guest* but that isn't the same thing at all.

What is the setup you are trying to create?