What does this symbol mean?

What does this symbol mean?

There is a "star" next to "Recommendation from other hosts". Does anyone know what this star means?  

In the past I've had this box checked but realize it is probably keeping me from showing up in search results for IB because of some vague notion that it means I have to still approve a guest (It's been logged as a defect and I asked them to reconsider this practice in Host Voice https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/Results-from-Instant-Book-Search/idi-p/281808)star requirements.jpg

11 Replies 11
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Alice-and-Jeff0  Never noticed that star before but I have it checked.  I frequently search my area as a traveler and have not experienced any negative impact from having IB turned on.  My listing shows up whether I filter by IB or not.   

The IB issue:  when I Open an incognito/stealth window, open Airbnb, do not log in, search for  property with the Instant Book toggle in the "on" position, my property never comes back in the search results.  With the Instant Book toggle in the "off" position, my property comes back - right near the top. I have IB turned on (why isn't it first?  I'm super curious about that!).  Even with this setting requiring a prior review from a host turned off, my property does not show up in IB search - actually almost all properties listed when the IB filter is set to "no" end up disappearing from the search results when the toggle is turned "on".  There is either a new business decision as to what results show up or there is a code problem. Without transparency from Airbnb, it is impossible to know.  

@Linda108 - When I test your property with the same parameters: incognito window, not logged in, IB toggle turned "on", your property doesn't show up either.  Turn it off - your property is the first one.  It actually doesn't even have the IB lightning bolt turned on either.   

Unchecking this box did not bring my property back into the search results given the parameters set forth.  Really confused as to why my property is being eliminated in this way. 

@Alice-and-Jeff0  When I search as a traveler, my listing shows up whether the IB filter is on or off.  When it is on, only IB listings show up.  When it is off, both IB listings and no IB listings show up.  When you say you are "incognito" searching, what steps do you take?  I go to the seach site, but the system recognizes me and my history.  Also, if you would like, give me a set of dates to look at your listing to see what happens when I search.

@Linda108 - if you use a Chrome browser, you have the option to drop all the cookies and history for  a "clean" search.  You are seeing your informtion in your search because cookies dropped by Airbnb previously know you and what you like to search for when going to their site.  By using a cleared browser, those preferences do not impact the results.  THUS, this is why I am telling you that with the IB toggle "on", you do not show up in results.  That means for any other guest coming to the site who is not you, with the toggle in the "on" position,  they are also not seeing you in their results.  

Check Dec. 24 - 25 if you'd like to see mine.  

@Alice-and-Jeff0  Your listing shows up in both on and off position after I cleared my history.  I think it is weird that we are getting different results.

Sabine42
Level 10
Tucson, AZ

hi alice & jeff, i'm fairly certain the star is only a symbol for the star rating, like the ID symbol next to the 'govt issued id' line

Could it be because when you're searching incognito airbnb doesn't know who you are and therefore you would not be allowed to instant book your property so it doesn't show up?  

This is a good point, but even when I turn off the selection for "positive prior reviews" I don't show up and other Instant book listings do show up.  Also, when I turn the IB toggle to "off", I then pop right up as an Instant book property.  

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Alice-and-Jeff0

Please check this converstaion from yesterday with an airbnb response at the end.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/Instant-Book-is-on-but-doesn-t-appear-as-such-in-searches/m-p/...

I have more or less the same issue as you - it seems my place does not show up in any search results if the stats are anything to go by.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Alice-and-Jeff0

Here is something very strange :

When I do a search logged in, your listing shows up with IB on, when I do a search in incognito mode, your listing shows with the IB off/no IB.