What tips would you give to a new host?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What tips would you give to a new host?

Tips for New Hosts

Hello everyone,

Here in the Community Center, we are lucky to be surrounded by wonderful experienced hosts. Hosts who have been there, got the t-shirt and have an amazing amount of knowledge which they have picked up along the way.

I am sure, that many of hosts here would agree with me in saying that this experience and knowledge doesn't come over night and that it does take time, effort and lots of learning in the process. Plus, we all continue to learn new things every day!

In light of this, I thought together we could share some of our top tips to hosts who are just starting out, this could be aimed at those who are completely new to hosting or are new to Airbnb. If you are a new host and have some tips you think others would find helpful, please do share as well, we would love to hear it. 🙂

Looking forward to hearing and sharing your tips.

Enjoy!

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

124 Replies 124

I have a second personal account for payments.

Yes, having a vacation rental account in addition to our regular account is really helpful for us. 

@Debby-And-Kevin0, I'm thinking about a second account - curious why is it helpful to you? how do you use it? thanks in advance!

susie

Hi @Susie5! You may have us mixed up with someone else. We only have one listing and one account. I can't find my original msg (lots of replies on this thread!). The only challenge with two accounts is to make sure you do not double book. I would NOT use Instant Booking if I had multiple listings. In fact, we have instant booking, but it is with caveats (nothing the same or prior day, and ONLY guests who have been reviewed by other hosts). Happy hosting! 

@Debby-And-Kevin0, you're right, I was replying (trying to!) to Natalia or Natasha, can't remember, but I agree, two listings is problematic! she had two rooms and wanted to rent them separately but had them on one listing.

Hope your day is going well! Susie

Chris285
Level 1
Albert Park, Australia

If you are thinking of hosting then read this carefully.

I am really annoyed with airbnb - the reason is simple - when something goes wrong for a host it is impossible to get it sorted out, so hence i am putting it on this forum in order to get a response.  Once upon a time you could contact airbnb direct and get a response those days are no longer.  It can take literally hours of trawling through airbnb pages to find a contact point that is relevant.

Today airbnb gave me an booking for five nights - I accepted literally as the booking came through- then apparently airbnb double booked the guest elsewhere using instant book for another host.  Both bookings were charged to the guest.

I have a generous cancellation policy, the other host does not allow cancellations - so tonight the guest asked whether they could cancel with me in order to protect their payment to the other guest.  If I am reasonable I lose - why? Really simply because airbnb's software has logic issues.  Sort it out airbnb.  This is not long after it took me weeks to get a cancellation fee cancelled after I cancelled a guest who booked for 2 and then demanded that I allow four guests to stay.  That cancellation still stays on my kpi's.  

The old airbnb was worthwhile - host days can't fix greed airbnb - it is time you got back to basics.  Chris 

Julia66
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Photographing your listing: 

These are some tips for hosts who are taking their own photographs of their listing.   

It's all right to take hasty photos if you are in a hurry to set up your listing, but do aim to improve your photos and replace old ones as soon as you can.  For example, you can start off with a photo of the outside taken in winter, but update it with a summer photo when you can.

- Light: make sure your photos are well lit; put lights on and open curtains; don't aim the camera at the window.  Dark photos won't do your rooms justice.

- Beds and sofas: smooth and tidy.  If the bed doesn't look tidy, I don't book a property as I don't have faith in hosts to take care of other aspects of their listing.

- WC: put the seats and lids down!

- Tidy: and remove personal possessions from guests' spaces to make your rooms look welcoming.

- Extras: only put flowers and fruit etc in photos if they're going to be there for every guest.

- Outside: include a photo of the outside of your building, unless you feel it compromises your security.

- General view: include a pic of your street or surroundings.  Chose a time of day when the sun is shining on the scene, and your house isn't in the shade, and chose a time of year when the countryside looks green, if this applies. 

- Views: I love to see what the view is from my room; label the photo to say which part of the property you get the view from.

- Local attractions: say in your listing how far away this is.  If you show a beach photo, for example, is this the beach that your listing says is 2 minutes away?

- Label your photos: this is a chance to tell your guests a little more about your listing.  Does the balcony belong to the Private Room? - Enough photos:   Guests will want to see fewer photos if they are just staying the night, but more photos if they are planning to stay longer, or if they are coming out of their way to visit you, or if they are paying a lot of money for an up-market property.  I've seen a post that suggests that you don't usually need more than about 20 photos.

- Accuracy: obviously make sure your photos give an accurate picture of your listing, and update them as and when you make changes.  Remove duplicates.

- Access: only include photos of spaces that guests have access to.  It just leads to misunderstandings if you show a kitchen or sitting room to which they don't have access.

- Grouping: I like to see the interior shots first, then outside, then neighbourhood and attractions.  The choice of the number one photo is personal and depends on what you think the wow factor of your listing is - the room or the house etc.

Some of these point are quite subjective, of course, as they are photos I love to see before booking when I'm a guest.  Others reflect my experience as a host.

I'm sure other hosts can add further tips.

Well done, @Julia66.  I learned a few points myself.  Thank you

Great advice!  The one thing I do differently is to have an outside shot as my main one since it's hard to distinguish between so many bedrooms which tend to look a lot alike... that's my preference, but obviously others may feel differently!  

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Barb6@Annette33@Linda108@Anjan0@John-and-Heather0@Tim-and-Holly0@Lyndsey2@Jeet0@Annie-and-Rob0@Alice-and-Jeff0

Wow everyone, you are sharing some amazing tips here and it is great to see a range of different areas - thanks so much. We should compile a Community Center book! 🙂 

@Julia66, I think we should rename you chief photographer here in the CC as a result of the excellent tips you have shared. I like that they are really achievable for everyone to follow and photography plays a huge role in the amount of interest your listing receives as a result.

Once you have a booking, you can still continue to speak with your guests and prepare them for their stay with you. Would anyone like to share any things you do in advance of your guests arriving at your listing? 🙂

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

We, of course, send  a thank you messge immediately after booking, then two days prior to arrival we send another note confirming their stay and asking the guest to provide an estimated arrival time as we like to meet each guest personally. Next we ask them to text us when they are about 10 minutes away at which time we provide parking instructions.

I ususally have cookies or bars for an arrival treat. BUT, i ask them if they have an gluten or diatery issues. This way they aren't disappointed that they can't eat what I offer and I am not disappointed I baked for nothing. 

Renee37
Level 1
Hastings, New Zealand

hi im trying to find out but im new and hosting so is my per night amount per guest thanks to anyone that can help me thanks as 2 people want to book togther and im unsure if i charge per person or is that amount for the room

Hi @Renee37, as far as your pricing is concerned, you don't have to do anything: it says on your listing that it is $23 (US) for one person, then an extra $15 for the next, meaning you would get $38 (US) per night for 2 guests. all that will be taken cAre of by Airbnb once the guests make their reservation, just make sure they book for 2.  and make sure you have your payment system set up!

When I look at your  listing though, if you don't mind, I see plenty of room for improvement at other places, like  you don't have a description, you just repeat exactly what it  says in your opening short intro to your listing. So as a potential guest, I am puzzled: are the two beds you advertise  the two stacked bunk beds? are they actually in the same room where you also sleep?? (shared room, you say...)needs clarification. also, add a few nice pictures, the ones you have are not that good, certainly not the one that will appear as your cover picture. Good luck! lots of things to work on... most importantly: do educate  yourself and  learn about all of Airbnb rules, especially issues about cancellations - it will save you headaches down the road. 

Tyson6
Level 2
Athens, GA

These are great suggestions. Thanks all for sharing!

As a very new host, what tips would American hosts give about learning relevant tax laws that would apply to SieNnA?