Wifi IP address hired out

James-Martin0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Wifi IP address hired out

Hi everyone

It seems that I've had a guest at some point that has accessed the router and retrieved all the information necessary to hire out my Internet data without me knowing. I'm far from techy but I know that when the property is empty the only thing that should be using data is a Ring doorbell and that doesn't add up to 80gb per day. 

I've changed the passwords to the management but still this goes on, I've unplugged the router so there shouldn't be any usage and still the same... using on average 80gb per day. I've raised my concerns with my service provider amd thay are now looking in to this.

I would welcome any advice on how to stop this in the meantime?? Has this happened to you? 

Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@James-Martin0 

Most routers cam show the login information and/or devices connected in real time or stored in a log file. Both accesable via de administration/management software belonging to the roouter.

But if you totally unplugged the router, then transport of data is not possible because there is no physical connection to the outside digital world.

So then it could be somebody is using your subscription at your provider on another location.

Can also be a hacker.

Your provider should be able to track this down.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@James-Martin0   You could request a new router and a new account.  I had a similar issue years ago and by cancelling my account and the associated services, having my partner create a new  account and turning in the old equipment for new solved the problem.  I also had to change the payment method.

Thanks for the info. Yes I can see how that would help. I've only just renewed the contract which doesn't help and EE are not very helpful at all.