first time airbnb guests left my place a mess

Ellen99
Level 2
Sawyer, MI

first time airbnb guests left my place a mess

Friends, I could really use some sugestions. I am a superhost in Michigan, at this about a year and a half. I have had literally no issues (except once, with a group of teens who were slobs but no damage), until this last guest. It was her first time with airbnb, and stayed for a week with a toddler and a preschooler, and I suspect is a single mom (at least from her profile pic and no of people in house).  She was in my area to visit family from Texas. So, there were dirty dishes left in sink, half eaten pizza in box on counter, garbage on lawn, lots of crap in fridge, AND the toddler wet the bed and she didnt strip the sheets ( a diaper leak, not saturated), but STILL. Some of this I will take the blame for, as to not being more explicit in my printed out check out instructions, although I messaged her the day before her departure asking her to put garbage out, and to start a load of dirty towels. Neither were done, bc she messaged, "sorry, didnt see this before we left." She left a great review and mine was not nearly as negative as it should have been, bc I didnt know the true extent of it from being out of town.  And, I dont like to leave negative reviews. (Who even sees them, other than guests? Potential hosts?)  So.  In short, nothing was physically damaged, but my cleaning gal will spend at least an hour longer (if not more) cleaning up a huge mess.  What is the best way to lessen the chances of this happening again? Not take reservations from first time users, which I am loathe to do?  Is the security deposit route useful, without holes in the wall to document?  I know this is rare, but it's extremely stressful. Thanks for ANY advice

1 Reply 1
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Ellen99 TBH this doesn't really sound outside the normal range. Some guests are messy. If you require people to follow specific check-out procedures they should be explicitly stated in your house rules that guests must acknowledge when booking, plus posted prominently in the space (e.g. laminated fridge sheet), and you can message the night before check-out with a reminder. I don't think first-time users are more likely to be problematic, but to be super-safe yes you could only accept guests with previous host recommendations. I think it's very unlikely that Airbnb would support you in trying to apply the security deposit to extra cleaning. You can set your cleaning fees at an amount that will cover occasional extra time.

To answer your question, yes other hosts do see reviews of guests, and will appreciate a heads-up.