how long does it take to sync to another site

how long does it take to sync to another site

I just got my first booking through airbnb.  

I also am listed on VRBO but the booking did not show booked on the VRBO calendar.

I did add the airbnb calendar to the VRBO site but it hasn't updated.  

does this take time to get it synced or is it typically instant?

6 Replies 6

Typically calendars auto update once daily. It is not instantaneous and many people have inadvertently double booked due to the delayed process. Be careful!

Hi David - We tried using VRBO for one of our listings for a time as a trial run and even though the calendars can synch, they don't synch real time so we had to check both calendars to avoid double booking. Also, we didn't like the fact that with VRBO we received the money at the time of booking (including the security deposit) so VRBO caused some issues with how we like to account for funds. We like it much better that we don't recieve funds from Airbnb until the guest checks in and we don't have to refund the security deposit. Airbnb takes care of that.

Although we did get some bookings through VRBO the added work of checking 2 calendars, 2 different payout methods, refunding security deposits, and lack of screening of guests we canceled the VRBO account and use Airbnb exclusively.

Hope this helps. If you found it helpful be sure to click on the thumbs up icon!

Cheers - Stan

@Stan-and-Jan0

What do you mean by screening?

David

Hi David - Airbnb travelers and hosts go through a verification process (screening) as well has most have personal info on thier profiles whereas VRBO does not require that. Airbnb is a better platform for getting to know who the guests are before you accept a reservation.

Hope that helps.

Stan

Sharon137
Level 1
Orillia, Canada

It took 3 months and 3 reminders to Trip Advisor before they synced my calender. I was not impressed and it did cause problems with potential guests.

If you are listing on multiple platforms, there are some important steps to take with "synching" your calendars.

1. You have to pick a "primary" calendar, then have other platforms "synch" to that primary calendar.  So if AirBNB is your primary, set VRBO and flipkey to synch to AirBNB.

2. The secondary calendars don't automatically "upload" to your primary calendar.  In other words, the Synch only goes from the primary calendar down, not from a secondary calendar up.

3. This means that if you take a VRBO reservation, you must immediately go in and block those dates on AirBNB.  Once you fix the "primary" calendar, it will automatically go on the other calendars. So in my example, when you block dates on AirBNB because of a VRBO guest, flipkey will automatically update.

I know its confusing, but if other hosts have figured out a better way to do this, I'd love to hear it. You might be able to set "circular" references (VRBO>AirBNB>Flipkey>VRBO) and that might avoid having to add reservations, but the last time I tried that it was mayhem because computers kept adding days to the reservations.