my guest wants to bring its own stair gates for their two infants

my guest wants to bring its own stair gates for their two infants

Hi there,

I hope someone within the community can share some of experiences. 

We have had a booking which the guest wants to bring a stair gates for their tow infants. within our introduction, we have recommended that the house not suitable for infants as we dont have stair gates. But the guest still tried to book it by asking that they can bring their own stair gates, I am really stuck. Is there anyone could help and share some expereinces? Many thanks, Fei 

8 Replies 8
Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

Clearly these are not truely "infants" because infants can't crawl or walk. My listing says not suitable for 0 - 2 yrs old - but because Airbnb doesn't consider this age child an actual guest, the search parameters allow my listing to appear as a possibility. I would decline the booking, because it violates my house rules. I would also be concerned with what else is not child proof other than the stairs!

Many thanks for sharing your view with us, it is really helpful. 

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

Hi @Fei3, if it were me, I would simply reply that my stairs were not suitable for stair gates. End of conversation.

Yes, it absolutley makes sense. I have declined the booking. Thanks for sharing. 

Monika64
Level 10
New York, NY

@Fei3 You are opening yourself up to a lot of possible problems. I was looking for a picture of your stairs but you don't have any (you almost have more flower/fruit pictures for your listing than actual house photos). There aren't many baby gates that can be installed without damaging either the wall or the banisters. Pressure mounted gates are dangerous because they can easily "pop out" of their place ... plus I really have no idea how your guest would know what kind of gates they could bring without seeing any pictures (unless you sent them some in private). I installed a lot of different gates into door openings, bottom and top of stairs and it involves a lot of measuring and careful instal as not to damage anything.

And what if a gate isn't secured, a child falls? They can blame it on your house that they were not able to install it properly. You are openning a can of worms right there, just don't do it. It's the parents responsibility to watch their children. Hotels wouldn't install gate on request either.

Unless you have a place that you especially cater for small children (some hosts do) and you have a properly installed (meaning with screws, etc.) gate I'd not let anything else in there.

Hi Monika,

Many thanks for the detailed sharing, it absolutely makes sense. Kind regards, 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Fei3

Great suggestions by @Kate157 and @Monika64.

Since the Airbnb text in the House Rules on the listing reads "May not be safe or suitable for infants (Under 2 years)" it's advised to add in manual added rules that house is not child-proofed and thus not safe for them. 

absolutely we agree with both Kate and Monika, thanks so much for sharing. Kind regards,