new host - how long to get things rolling?

Carolyn55
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

new host - how long to get things rolling?

I am a new host and just put my profile up a couple of days ago. Without reviews, how long does it typically take to start getting a steady influx of visitors? I am in Tucson, AZ, in a central locale, just starting into our 'season'. Thanks for any input...I'm panicking that I am doing something wrong. I need guests to make this financially feasible for me :0

7 Replies 7
City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

When I started I got an inquiry before I even finished putting in the information.  We were busy right away during our tourist season.  Slowed down now.

I started with very low prices to suss out the demand and see if we liked it, then raised them quickly.  If a guest books a future reservation the price and deposit in effect when they book will not change even if you raise or lower prices or add or remove a deposit later so if you would want higher prices in the holiday periods, go in and raise them for those dates now.  You can always lower them later if demand is low.

Have a catchy name for your space and offer some kind of value added service such as pickup at airport, bottle of wine, grocery shopping for guest off a list they provide in advance (they have to pay for extra groceries but you go get them and stock the space ready for their arrival.)  If it is too much work or too costly you can always reduce the offering in future (but have to honor your commitment for guests that booked when it was in effect.)

I have not looked at your listing but here are some general tips:

Make sure your cover photo and the first two photos are very appealing.

Make sure the guests will have no concerns about easily finding your space.

Expand your check in hours.

Don't block days before and after guests.

Allow one day stays.

Find out events nearby and reach out to organizers offering the location for their participants.

Get a couple of good friends to write testimonials and put their words in quotes under a picture of them at your location.  "Carolyn is a really wonderful person and you will love staying here. The wine is great and the host is welcoming.  Buffy" 

''Buffy''!

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

Looking at your listing it looks like the guests can stay in your entire home (no other people present) with up to 5 people for $69  flat fee per night.  This does not seem possible.

Thank you so much for your great feedback! I like the idea of adding testimonials and a free service to catch their eye. It is true that I put the price VERY low for the first couple of weeks to get people in the door. But, still waiting... I'm also impatient and really want this to work!

People may see such an abnormally low price and think something is wrong with it too, though.  Find a good balance.

Beef up your house rules now before they become an issue later.  Thing to include may be: No smoking, No additional guests, No parties, No loud noise/music after 10PM, etc.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Carolyn55  Welcome to Air BNB as a host.  I hope the very best experience and success for you.  I did review your listing.  Your pictures are very nice for the most part, but the external shot of "work in progress" is not very appealing.  What about pictures of your neighborhood or interesting points near by.

I agree with @City-Limits-Ranch0 that your rate for 5 people staying in an entire house for $69 seems low.  I see you did increase your rate in November and December.  One strategy for pricing is to list a rate for some of the total guests and have an additional charge for additional guest.  More guests more wear and tear and cost to clean.  I would suggest your rate be for 3 people and a charge of $15-$20 per person over three.  Just a thought.

Also, please read all the host articles about being a host, especially about booking, cancellations, contacting Air BNB, being aware of city requirements for licensing and occupancy taxes.  This host forum is very educational as well.  Good Luck!!

Great idea to post photos of the nearby attractions! I agree...that front picture is horrible and hopefully will look much better after a lot of physical labor this weekend 🙂 I put it in for identification purposes and, also, I did not want to mis-represent, as the truth is that the front is very plain right now. I'll look into the 'extra person' charge also. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!