question re: pet damage

question re: pet damage

HI Fellow hosts! hope this finds everyone doing well. Does anyone know how a claim for damages  gets automatically turned in to a host guarantee claim? I filed a claim asking for help to collect money from the guest for  the damages her dog did peeing and pooping in my house,( she stated the dog was potty trained too in her message!) which she denied( a fellow host too)  she had it done ,however the company she used did a terrible job. they left huge spots,  urine ordor and discoloration. So had a different company come and re do it. I took photos of the area after  the first company cleaned, and after the second company cleaned.  You could see the discoloration,spots and urine stains clearly after the first company " cleaned". Thus hired another company to  redo the areas. The pictures speak for themselves.  I asked for reimbursement since it was obvious they were NOT cleaned properly the first time. Because of Air BNB policy, it had to be done before your next guest checks in, and the first company wouldnt send someone to look at the work before my  next guests were to arrive. I spoke with air bnb throughout thus they told me to make sure it was done beforethe next check in,which i did. Somehow the claim got turned in to a "Host Guarantee claim" which is NOT where i wrote to? I wrote to resolution center asking them to enforce the guest to pay,NOT air bnb to pay? Somehow it was sent to host guarantee where it was denied? Any info is appreciated. Because of this,i am no longer going to accept pets,which is a shame. I just can not afford being stuck with damages . I dont even own animals that come in the house, though my horses would try if i let them!
  kindly mims

3 Replies 3

also want to say the guest is also a host. And she stated she doesnt even have flooring in her own home because of her dog. She told me this after  the dog peed and pooped in the house...... 😞 the dog is huge! larger than a ST.Bernard,so you can imagine the amount of peee and poop....

Helen285
Level 2
Los Dolses, Spain

AirBnB unfortunately have rubbish policy on Pets.

I have just hosted guests in my NO PETS property and the guest concealed a pet. That pet has clawed all 4 dining chairs and the sofa - ruined them. Request for funds with photos and receipts for ruined furniture submitted. Guest declined and AirBnB then escalate to Host Guarantee. They have effectively let the guest off the hook. They have not even offered to hold back their breakages deposit !!

Host Guarantee policy is:

"The items included in your request are not eligible for reimbursement under the Host Guarantee Terms and Conditions. The Host Guarantee Terms and Conditions state that loss or damage caused by

1. Animals, including, but not limited to, livestock and pets.

are excluded property and therefore, are ineligible for payment."

So - I now have ruined furniture and absolutely no re-imbursement from the guest or AirBnB.

Why ask the question - Pets or No Pets - why give a host that option if then when a pet does damage AirBnB does NOTHING to protect or reimburse the host !

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sounds like you will need to claim on your own home insurance for STR as  unfortunately Airbnb's guarantee doesn't cover pet damage @Mims0