rebooking a cancellation

Susan396
Level 1
Port Campbell, Australia

rebooking a cancellation

Hello hosts,

I had to cancel a guest because a family member was coming to stay.  So, I cancleed guest and then my family member cancelled on me.  I now want to re-book my guest (who is very keen) but I don't know how.  it's the same guest... Do I just go private and do it as a private transaction.  He is from China and I think he would prefer going through Airbnb.  How can I contact airbnb to allow me to rebook this cancelled guest?

8 Replies 8
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Susan396

Hi Susan - you may know this, but will repeat for others. Cancelling a guest in most circumstances means your calendar is blocked for those dates and you receive a financial penalty plus you are barred from achieving SuperHost status for a year. If you ever need to cancel then get Airbnb to do it to try soften any of these penalties.

all you can do now is contact Airbnb and explain the situation to them and hope they understand- although they take a dim view of cancelling for anything other than extenuating circumstances. Easiest route is via Twitter - search for Airbnb Help.

note: booking privately with this guest means you are not covered by Airbnb insurance scheme for hosts.

Thank-you!  There were extenuating circumstances... My mother!  She helped me purchase this place and I am a first time host... I had 'instant booking' configured and the booking was made and paid for in the first 24hours I was online.  I hadn't had a chance to block out dates. So I cancelled very swiftly when I knew she was coming.  Unfortunately, due to ill-health she ha had to postpone her trip, I contacted the guest who was very upset at the time and asked if I could make amends by offering them a discounted rate.  They/were/are very keen.  But, unfortunately, I can't rebook the original guests unless airbnb unblcks that date for them.  I am a newbie as a host so it's been a very quick (and slightly steep, learning curve.  Of course, I won't do this again. Anyway... It seems my case is very unusual and there also doesn't seem to be any way I can contact airbnb to allow this guest to rebook.  C'est la vie! 

Susan396
Level 1
Port Campbell, Australia

p.s I'm not on twitter or instagram I find facebook enough of a social media outlet! So if you know of another way I can contact airbnb I'd be most grateful. 

@Susan396  If you're just starting out how do you have over 200 reviews?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi Susan

It sounds like it would be useful for you to spend a bit more time understanding how BNB works, to help you manage your listing.

(You may want to put your listing on snooze while you do this)

A few tips.

1. Use the search function here on these forums and on the Help function BNB has on its website (contact BNB is the most popular question here and has been asked and answered over 500 times ! ) Or look at the 2nd post under Community Help for phone numbers. You will find the majority of questions you might have, will have already been asked and answered here.

2. Pay particular attention to information about your responsibilities as a host including what happens if you cancel a booking, what BNB see as extenuating circumstances, guest rules, cancellation  policy, what to do if you have a problem guest.

3. BNB won't see a relative or friend wanting to come and stay as extenuating circumstances - this is why you cancelled your booking (however you can try it and see if they will be flexible)

4. Remove Instant Book - it's not helpful for new hosts finding their way around how things work.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Susan396  You state the cancellation was under the Instant Booking rules.  I believe you have a couple of cancellations allowed under the IB system so contact Air BNB to request the dates be unblocked.  Please look at the community guide on this website for all the different ways to contact Air BNB.

[**bleep** removed]

Hi, I just did the same thing but how do I contact Air BNB? It is not clear. Thanks, Susan (another Susan)

@Susan396  

Italy +39-06-99366533