request/messages disappeared

Huei0
Level 2
Gaithersburg, MD

request/messages disappeared

I have two incidents of requests/messages disappeared from my dashboard/inbox.  

The first time occurred a couple of days ago, the request and the message thread associated with this request vanished totally.

The second time happened today.  The request disappeared but luckily the messages are still in my inbox.  The guest stated he did to cancel/delete the request.  

What is going on here?  Has anyone had similar experience?  

Thanks.

Huei

11 Replies 11
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Huei0, this happens when the guest withdraws their request, they may have booked elsewhere or changed their mind. Happens from time to time and nothing to worry about. If you get a request, answer as quickly as you can or they might get a ''yes'' from someone else and book that instead!

@Sandra126 Thank you very much.  I wondered about the possibility of a request being withdrawn by the guest.  I guess once the request was withdrawn, all the messages associated with the request were gone too?!  

It does not seem to explain today's incident though.  The guest said he does not know why the request disappeared since he has not done anything about it and I still have all the messages in my inbox.  

I wish there is a way to know the request is withdrawn by the guest, not problems with Airbnb site. 

Thanks again for your help.

Huei

Kelly81
Level 1
Banbury, United Kingdom

I too have had messages disappear on multiple occassions.... or coming through much later than the message was sent.

- a request came in, I responded immediately - accepting and with a written message. My writen message disappeared and has never returned. I had to resend the message.

- a guest of mine messaged stating they had messaged a week previously (they had a question about a preconfirmed trip). I had not received the message - text, app or email. I was unaware they had messaged.

- a guest was parking outside our building but not due to check in until the evening. They messaged upon arrival asking for help with drections... this message did not come through to my phone until 2am... I was asleep and the guest was asleep in our spare room.

AND finally, today... although this time my sent messages kept on disappearing on the app... but somehow they have reappeared. I looked wild as had messaged 4 times with the same information.

I believe it is a failing with the app on occassions??????

This happened a couple times to me this month under different circumstances:

1.  An acceptance was made. Then AirBnB froze the guest's account for unknown reasons (as I was told by guest), with the entire message thread deleted. 

2. I received an inquiry during my sleep.  When I woke up, I noticed the notifications by email and text.  Yet when I entered AirBnB site, I could not find the original message, only the guest's follow-up message that contained no inquiry information (like property, dates, etc.).  She told me she encountered some issues with her account (already verified). 

I wonder why these guests triggered some automatic responses from AirBnB.  Fairly serious issues.

Lauren37
Level 1
Mill Valley, CA

Same thing happened to me, I had an exchange with a guest, sent her a special offer as I couldn't do the first day of the time frame she requested so we agreed that I'd push it back one day.  I sent her the "Special Offer", she thanked me in a message and then today, that offer has disappeared, but what remains is our back and forth message exchange.  I sent her another message and haven't heard back so I'm assuming that she withdrew her request.  Hey Airbnb!  If you're monitoring these boards it would be helpful if you would message us hosts and give us the heads up what happened so we don't have to waste time trying to figure it out.  THANKS~!

Katherine54
Level 2
Austin, TX

Several times I have written long messages to booked guests to give directons or information about the area.  I click on send and it just disappears.  It's very aggravating after all that typing and I don't  know if the guests get the message or not.  It doesnt show up below.

Dee24
Level 2
Buxton, United Kingdom

Hi this is happening far too frequently to me the messages sent just disappear?

Cath28
Level 2
Bali, Indonesia

hi all my messages are disappeared from my chat.. what should i do ?

I replied to a guest for s request to arrive early and it completely disappeared. 

Richard1104
Level 2
New York, NY

This JUST happened to me: there was A message saying that a guest was asking about the place… And then less than a minute later there was a message that the guest had withdrawn the request… And then I could no longer see any of the messages

@Richard1104  Did you read the first response on this thread, from Sandra? This is standard when a guest withdraws the request- not a glitch.