scam letter

scam letter

SCAM ALERT: Received a letter from 'airbnb Unclaimed Property' with a blank form for us to fill out to received a check for unclaimed property. Address to mail our personal information was airbnb Unclaimed Property, PO Box 1448, Southeastern PA 19399. In the upper left-hand corner has the same address. Contact number 1-877-455-4746

I wish I can post the picture of the letter here but I don't know how to do that.

49 Replies 49
Ian32210
Level 2
Menlo Park, CA

So, I got such a letter. "Denise"  at Airbnb first told me that this was a FAKE letter and directed me to this forum. Then, after I showed her that the $$ amount matched exactly with a payment that shows as "pending" she "did some more research" and now tells me that the letter is LEGITIMATE and FROM AIRBNB. But not tells me to "contact the state". She won't speak to me on the phone; this is only via email. AIRBNB IS NOT BEING HELPFUL. This matter seems straightforward and I am getting the run around. VERY DISAPPOINTING.

Bellevue1
Level 2
Bellevue, WA

May 2022 letter - Allegedly from the following org:

Airbnb Unclaimed Property (upper left corner)

Unclaimed Property Processing Center (lower right corner)

P.O. Box 66501        (both corners of page, google it with quotes around it and no good hits)

London KY 40742 (both corners of page, google it with quotes around the address and no good hits)

855-888-8749         (google that number with quotes around it "855-888-8749" and there are virtually no hits)

WHAT's CREEPY ABOUT THIS LETTER:

1. It has my full name - first, middle, last - CREEPY!
  2. I obscure my/our names on our AirBnB accounts.  (Before I make a c/s call, I temporarily change my name so AirBnB's phone reps can do verification.)
  3. It went to our PO Box - where we receive zero mail about AirBnB
  4. We have 2 AirBnB accounts for 2 properties.  If AirBnB wanted to send us funds "unclaimed property" they are perfectly capable of doing a bank deposit
  5. The amount claimed as owed to us - $917.00 - is an even number which almost never happens with our AirBnB sums nor in real life around real, unclaimed property

Every year or so I will do a REAL search on our state's unclaimed property website for everyone in our family and assorted friends.  From time to time I find something for someone.  I looked not that terribly long ago. This letter claims a sum from 09 Sept 2018 but says it was printed 19 May 2022.  Doesn't add up.

We've been an active hosts since 2015-16 and short term guest about 3 times.  Hard to say which this letter is pointing at although we did travel summer 2018.

AIRBNB-UNCLAIMED-PROPERTY.jpg

Mine is exactly like yours!  And same deal, QR code does not pull up anything, and Airbnb Host Support doesn't know for sure if it's legit or not?!  So weird. 

Sen-and-Ti0
Level 2
New York, United States

Hello all. I received a letter today. Immediately thought it was a scam, BUT IT WASN’T. I appreciate all the comments here so I am adding mine. From them I was hesitant to sign my name to anything so I called Airbnb directly. They said it was legit (they had me send them a pic through their app of the letter), they reviewed my account and said I was owed money. I am still always skeptical because with any company I call- I never get consistent info if I call in multiple times. So, once again, after reading these threads- I looked at payment history and sure enough it showed I was owed the same amount listed on the letter I received. Now, of course this doesn’t mean all letters are legit. I would suggest that before you dismiss the letter or accept it- that you call Airbnb directly to check. I have also included a screen shot of the follow up text customer service sent saying the letter was legit. 2D5F9C70-D48D-41C1-8D4A-1ABF25CC8AD0.png as well as look at your account. I hope this helps someone. 
Be well. 

Hi, I got the exact letter today from Airbnb.

it is ABSOLUTELY LEGIT.

I looked up pending transactions under my payments, and the exact amount pending from 2016 is the amount they referenced in their letter.