service dog

Barb6
Level 10
Stevensville, MI

service dog

This is from a potential guest.

I have a seizure disorder and have a service animal that is trained to get help and assist me in case of a problem. Autumnis a Lagotto Romagnolo dog ~30lbs. She is extremely friendly and she does not shed at all, and does not produce any dander either. And I just gave her a bath so she smells lovely, even though she doesn't really ever smell bad.
I know that technically I didn't have to say anything and you can't refuse based on the service animal but I just wanted to let you know and will let you decide whether you can accommodate. I hope to hear from you soon!

On Profile page of potential guest.
I am a 4th year medical student. My girlfriend is an attorney. We have an amazing little furball named Autumn. She is a tiny 30lb Lagotto Romagnolo and is training to be a truffle hunter!

I have a no pet policy. What are my choices here? 

64 Replies 64
Betsy195
Level 2
Puerto Morelos, Mexico

I got a reservation last night and the guest asked if I was ok with her service animal.  I didn't answer yes or no, I just asked if the animal would be  home alone or would leave when she left.  She said the animal would stay with her.   I was hoping to hear more about her and the dog and provide useful information about our location so should could make her own choice about staying....We have a no pet policy but I've made exceptions for plain old pets in the past.  But then she cancelled the reservation.  Is this called "fishing" ? Is she looking for people to answer this question incorrectly?    

Here is the conversation:  

Jen6:48 PM
Good evening! I am coming to be around family for the holidays and I’m excited to come back to Durham 🙂 I do travel with a well trained service animal. Roxy is not a pet. She is a certified service animal. She goes where I go, but please let me know if that will be an issue in the cottage.

Jen9:07 PM
Good evening! I didn’t see a response directly to my message so I wanted to double check before I relaxed a little in regard to Roxy. Thank you 🙂 have a great night

Betsy12:00 AM
Hi Jen. Just seeing your reservation. Will you take Roxy with you when you're not in the apartment?

Jen7:20 AM
Yes. She goes with me where I go

Message from Airbnb Service󱜄
Reservation canceled by guest

Betsy9:14 AM
Ok, i see you cancelled, hope you find the perfect place!

And, here's her profile describing their lovely fur ball:
About
My husband and I largely work remotely so we like to travel and explore once in a while to have a little after work fun. We have 2 adult children who sometimes join us. Additionally we bring our very spoiled fuzzy old lady Roxy the Diva if possible. She wouldn’t have it any other way. We all love the outdoors and try to soak in all we can. read less
Lives in St Petersburg, FL
Work: Adventist Health

While she was likely a fake SD, given the way the dog is described in the profile, the Americans with Disabilities Act does give you some guidance on these conversations, for future reference.

The US Dept of Justice says that "In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability."

You are not permitted by AirBnB policies nor by the law to turn away a disabled guest with a legitimate service animal. The DoJ further expands to say one is not permitted to charge guests for cleaning the hair or dander shed by
a service animal. However, if a guest’s service animal causes damages to a guest room, one is permitted to charge the same fee for damages as charged to other guests. Some people with disabilities may use more than one service animal to perform different tasks, so it is legal for a handler or a family to have more than one SD. The DoJ also specifically addresses the question you asked - Are guests allowed to leave their service animals in their hotel room (which applies to all lodging, not just hotels) when they
leave? A: No, the dog must be under the handler’s control at all times. The ADA is very specific that an animal who is not under the control of the handler, even if the handler is disabled and the animal is a trained SD, that is grounds to have the animal removed from the premises. SDs must be under control (voice, tether, hand signal, etc) at all times and not dangerous, destructive or disruptive. If it is not under control of the handler (which it cannot be if the handler is not there), you can insist they remove the animal or otherwise deny access to the animal, requesting the person return without the animal.

Also, big red flag, anyone who says their animal is "certified" or refers to their SD as a "pet." There is no certification for SDs in the US, UK or Canada, so anyone claiming their dog is certified likely paid for their pet to get a fraud online certification. Sometimes those fraud sites scam legit teams by making a disabled handler believe they need the certification. So it is not a guarentee that it is a faker. But,  the DoJ says "Covered entities may not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal, as a condition for entry. There are individuals and organizations that sell service animal certification or registration documents online. These documents do not convey any rights under the ADA and the Department of Justice does not recognize them as proof that the dog is a service animal." Most legit handlers are well aware of this and despise those fraud certification sites. So, you have to look a little harder at anyone who claims they have a "certified" or "registered" SD.  

Hope this helped some

Thats actually not entirely true. In Michigan for example you can get your dog registered. My husband has one and it was a process.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Betsy195  No owner of an actual trained service dog would describe them as  "very spoiled fuzzy old lady". 

She could be fishing, no way of knowing. If that's what she's trying to do, though, it seems like she would just send an inquiry message, not a request and then cancel. She could have cancelled for any number of other reasons.

You asked her the right question and it's good she cancelled, it's not a service dog, it's a pampered pet and I'm sure she thinks anything it does is just fine. 

Betsy195
Level 2
Puerto Morelos, Mexico

I end up wanting to throw my hands up and say "people these days!"   Your profile is a perfect place to describe your service dog that travels with you.  I usually make exceptions for pets that have good reviews, anyway.  And when I do let an animal stay with us, I'm sure to review it, too.  

I remember the days when I worked in the service industry (wine tasting) when we felt like we were being targeted by activists looking for someone to sue.  I always knew it was someone just fishing for a lawsuit when they would ask for service, get all the right answers, I'd start setting up our wheel-chair tasting bar (which we kept near the parking lot, but you couldn't see unless you asked for it) and then they'd say, "no thanks, we decided we don't want a wine tasting."   (The entrance to our tasting room was a huge flight of 100 yr old stone stairs. ). In some ways, those activists changed the world and made it a better place for people who can't do stairs.  But also, stressful for small business owners.  

We travel often with a family that has a diabetes dog.  That dog makes travel possible for them!  I know it's been said before, but man, just being honest is really the best way to move through the world.