Diabetes

Jacqueline3
Level 1
London, England, United Kingdom

Diabetes

Do any hosts have sugar free homes on AirBnB? I am diabetic? 

10 Replies 10

You didn't mention where you are looking for to travel.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Jacqueline3,

As @Mariam3 mentioned, could you give us a idea of which country, city you are looking to travel too and we might be able to help? 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Jacqueline3,

Sorry I should have also said in my reply to you is, I have moved your post out of the Airbnb Open board as it is about hosting. Normally I would suggest that this goes in the General Hosting board, but as this is publically open not just for host to view I have moved it to the Host Circle board. Do let me know if you would prefer me to move it. Thanks so much. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

Unfortunately, Airbnb decided to remove the keyword search feature which would have easily allowed for this type of matching between host and guest. There's no easy way to find out. Of course, if a host has sugar (really carbs that you need to be worried about), you don't have to eat them.

keyword search would totally help you find appropriate hosts.

oh wait... AirBnb DELETED keyword search and still has not brought it back 😞

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

Hi Jacqueline

I don't know if you would get to see responses on here as this is a closed forum for hosts. We could remove all sugar from our apartment if asked in the same way we will try to comply with other requests. This includes removing peanuts from anyone with sensitivity to them or not leaving any alcohol for guests with problems or objections to alcohol

However we are relatively remote and help is not easily to hand. So if you are on Insulin or any of the medications which could cause you to go hypo then you should have access to both fast acting and more complex carbohydrate.

I agree that a Keyword search feature would be the best way for guests with this particular need to find suitable hosts. 

I'm presuming, though, that the "sugar free" requirement refers to the breakfast offerings, rather than the household itself. Most hosts don't actually offer breakfast or other meals for guests by default. And for those that do, you can inquire prior to booking to ask if the host can accommodate your dietary restrictions.

It would be unreasonable to ask a host to remove all sugar from the household, as the mere presence of it in your vicinity will not pose any danger to your health (that is, unless you're staying at the Hansel and Gretel house, which does not appear to be on Airbnb). On the whole, it will be much easier to find hosts who are happy to accommodate a request for sugar-free meals than ones who have no sugar at all in their homes.

@Anonymous 

Agreed, There are always many items in a host's home that I will not use, but it does not harm me if they are merely there, and I do not partake. For example, I do not use drugs, alcohol, eggs or dairy foods. If my host has them in the home, I do not consider it any of my business.

If guests have issues around food, they might consider bringing their own. I always travel with appropriate food items in case I am somewhere after hours and get hungry.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Why not do what 99.9% of diabetics do and simply avoid the foods that you know not to eat, monitor your blood sugars and make sure you've got your meds with you?  It ain't rocket science.  

It would be a good idea to inform the host. I try to comply with dietary requirements up to a certain point. Even without prior notice, it would be easy to find some breakfast items in my place, that agree with your diet, as for most guests. But it would reduce temptation if the host knows to remove all snacks from the guest area beforehand. No standard sweets for you as a curtesy 😉

If you rent a private apartment, that is someone's home, you will always have things there, that you may not like, wish to use or could not eat. On the other side, you will also find things that a hotel does not provide. 

I understand that having sugar everywhere, may remind you that you should not eat it. Storing these things out of sight seems a good compromise to me. I was faced once with guests who declared themselves Vegan and proceded to empty a storage cupboard, the fridge and the freezer of nearly everything there was, handing over two bags of food at the door. As I had a train to take, I put the dry food into the garage and donated the frozen food to neighbors. I lost over 50 Euros that way and was quite offended that my home had to be purified of forbidden food before it could be used by my guests. 

They were very nice people and did not mean it that way, but it felt that way. 

Donating a package of sugar to the guardian lady would not be a problem, but if I had to remove the honey too and maybe all open jam jars, which need to be in the fridge, I would hesitate to accept a short booking.