How to avoid vindictive reviews

How to avoid vindictive reviews

A guest did not agree with the handiman's opinion about the cause of a damaged item (the repair costs of which represented about 25% of the fee I received for the stay) and asked me to refer the matter to the site as a dispute. No problem with that. The guest then posted a one star review.  While guests are entitled to their opinion, reviews that are not based on the review criteria and are just designed to wreck a hosts rating should not be allowed. I have taken the matter up with the site and have been told that unless a review, uncluding the rating, offends their guidelines, nothing will be done. Any ideas about how to avoid this kind of behavior?   

4 Replies 4

Hi @Jo55, and greetings to the Isle of Wight!

Unfortunately, there isn't an answer to your question that's likely to please everyone. Looking at your most recent guest's review, I wouldn't describe it as vindictive or unfair - rather, it was a thorough and balanced account of an experience that any guest would have found unpleasant. 

From a customer service perspective, we all have to make trade-offs sometimes. When you demand additional fees or enforce your boundaries, you also accept that a likely result is a negative review and rating. That doesn't mean that you have to be a doormat - there are times when making a damage claim or calling out bad behavior is completely justified. But the unavoidable fact is, good reviews can only come from happy guests, and a few of your last ones were clearly not. 

The best protection you have against the impact of a negative review is the Review Response feature. But it is extremely important that you remember, the Response is not meant to be a dialogue with your guest - rather, the intended audience is guests considering your listing! It's best to write it only after you've had a few days to cool off. I'm going to be blunt, @Jo, nobody in their right mind would read what you wrote in your responses to guests' feedback and choose to book with you, since you come across as extremely vindictive yourself. The purpose of the Response is not to air out a dispute or attack your guests; rather, it's an opportunity to correct inaccuracies and clarify details that you want your future guests to be aware of.  It also gives you a chance to show that you can take in negative feedback gracefully, and that you care about your guests and not just your "business."

And that last point is the next thing you can do to avoid a repeat of this situation. Use the feedback you've received from unhappy guests as a springboard for improving your listing and your communication with guests. Make everything you need guests to know explicit in the listing, so they don't have any unwelcome surprises after booking. Have more clear and comprehensive photos so that they arrive with accurate expectations. If you repeatedly find that you're getting guests whose needs aren't a good fit for your property, communicate more with them before confirming. 

Finally, if there is any room for doubt about a matter such as damage, consider extending the benefit of it to the guest. No matter how well a housekeeper might know your property, it's implausible that they can account for every detail. In this case, the guest's honest review might cost you a lot more in lost business than you spent on the door handle, especially if you leave that horrendous response intact. Even when a claim is necessary, approach it with a view toward making the guest feel you have treated them fairly. Also, be sure that the entire communication on the matter is inside the Airbnb system so that you have a paper trail with CX in the event of a future dispute.

Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

@Jo55

@Anonymous is completely correct on this one. My eyes went right to the 3 long responses you gave to reviews and skipped over probably some very lovely reviews. As a guest I want to know who you are and how you handle things since I am staying at your house and I know reviews can be subjective. Before you respond to reviews take a breath, remember your audience, make it short, accentuate out the positive, be gracious. Personally I would not consider a home where the host comes off as combative to their guest.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jo55  I think your cottage pictures reveal a lovely and well used home.  I can see the covered chair, but the kitchen looks updated and clean.  I do agree with @Anonymous about the review response as a marketig tool and not as a defensive statement.  You obviously provide a positive experience to very many guests but if there is a way to "listen" to negative feedback to improve your listing or communication you might be able to avoid such "vindictive" reviews.

@Jo55

I saw your descriptions and pictures and your house is lovely and has character - but I agree with what @Anonymous said. I saw the guest's review and it did not seem vindictive, rather unhappy and distressed. (And maybe it's just me, but £50 for a new door handle sounds totally outrageous!!!) 

I'm sure in your mind you have your reasons for the way you have set things up. But if I were the guest, I would be seriously unhappy about sudden additional cleaning charges at the end of my stay, when I felt I did nothing out of the ordinary. As a guest in an unfamiliar home, am I supposed to know what "1 bin liner's worth of laundry and 2 hours of bed making & cleaning" means?????? For an entire home near the beach with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 4 beds allocating 2 hrs for bed making & cleaning as the norm does not make sense to me. And while I appreciate competitive prices, personally, I don't understand places where I have to supply my own TP and dishwashing soap for a 2~3 night stay. (If the listing is a vacation home and I'm staying longer than a week, I would understand after the 1~2 rolls initially provided run out, I need to get my own TP) 

In the end, I think the biggest turn-off for me would be the way you respond to negative reviews from guests. When people criticize you or your home, it's hard not to take it personally, but still....... just because someone said something bad about you doesn't mean you should be mean and snippy right back at them. 

You say in your response to the review that "it's not personal" but actually you seem to take any hint of criticism very personally and respond by making yourself sound self-righteous+sarcastic+mean. (i.e.  "I really do not want to be sourcing door handles" "There is obviously no Tesco extra in a coastal village" " "ancient" furniture, some older than America, your Country.....the people they belonged to are long dead" "income from your stay equates to 1/2 the cost of material alone for 1 chair"  "while you may have deemed the dish washer superfluous to your requirements") 

Based on the way you've reacted to other negative reviews, I wasn't sure if I should post a reply. But I did. Because I think you have a lovely listing.