AirBnb should offer travel insurance

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

AirBnb should offer travel insurance

What with low cost airlines constantly cancelling flights, natural disasters, family illnesses etc etc AirBnb should offer guests inhouse travel insurance. While it's not their core business it certainly is simpatico with their business model. 

6 Replies 6
Pat20
Level 2
West Chester, PA

Do guests really need to buy trip insurance since Airbnb has 'extenuating circumstances' cancellation policy which covers such things and  owner is not in control of his chosen cancellation policy?

Tom-and-Lisa0
Level 10
Kalispell, MT

I have two words for Airbnb:  TRAVEL INSURANCE.  Hosts with seasonal rentals are more like cruise ships than hotels.  Refilling cancelled slots is difficult, and hosts should not have to absorb the loss.  This is one of many posts I've made on this topic and hundreds if not thousands of pleas from host to air bnb have produced nothing.  Its another rub which hosts get no help from Airbnb.  I have not had many cancellations, but the ones I have had have been complete losses.  I've now made the switch to a STRICT policy which limits my potential customers and makes me look like I'm greedy.  If airbnb would simply offer TRAVEL INSURANCE, we'd all (guests and hosts) be better served.  It would be a win-win-win:  Airbnb gets a new revenue stream selling the insurance, Guests get refunds if they cancel, and hosts don't get unnecessarily punched in the wallet.  Sure seems like the professional thing to do! 

I agree. Airbnb is not a hotel chain / franchise, last minute fully refunded cancelations make cost-of-doing-business guesswork and extenuating circumstances are so broad that it's beginning to seem as if  anything goes in spite of the host's cancellation policy.  There is a reason hotels are so much more expensive they do not absorb the risk, they factor it into the price, unlike the cheaper listings on Airbnb. And Airbnb is always suggesting hosts make their listings even cheaper than they are.

As for guests it's so irresponsible to expect the host to take the hit for them.  I have never traveled without insurance, domestically or internationally.  It's less than .cents on the dollar, a cup of coffee costs more.

Airbb should definitely team up with an insurance company and offer it as an add-on. Makes it easy for the guest, just a click away!  And I suggest Airbnb highlight the importance of this with a  note saying:  "It is highly recommended that you purchase trip insurance in case you need to cancel your trip.  Please read the host's cancellation policy.

Here's a suggestion for Airbnb - I'm sure a plan could be hatched with this company or similar:  https://www.insuremytrip.com/insuring-your-trip/

@David-and-Fiona0  A suggestion - how about putting a link to this in the forum so everyone knows it's here to thumb up. I have seen a ton of posts mentioning it as something that is needed and not everyone knows about Host Voice.

Teresa--Terri-0
Level 4
Kennewick, WA

Travel Insurance makes so much sense to protect BOTH the guest and the host! It would be a vaulable additional service AibBnB could/should offer.

Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

Just had the same thought and I know this is an old thread but this would solve a lot of problems and make them money too.

Everytime I go to book a spirit airlines flight they send me a pop up message and I have to "accept or decline travel insurance" before I can book the flight.It's usually like $20.  They remind me of all the things that can go wrong: "Someone could get sick! There could be weather issues" Natural disasters! Political problems ..etc

Simple solution: Before guests click Make reservation, a pop up comes up that REMINDS them of the host cancellation policy, and offers for them to purchase travel insurance. They can use an outside provider even, like the budget airlines do. This way everyone is on the same page, the host doesn't lose out, guest gets refunded, and Airbnb makes money.