Airbnb should not aid theft & should stick to their guidelines when there has been fraud & theft

Airbnb should not aid theft & should stick to their guidelines when there has been fraud & theft

My property was rented by an Airbnb member & that member passed the booking on to someone else.  My property was robbed & My property was booked by an Airbnb member who then passed the booking to someone else . We were robbed but Airbnb did not We were robbed but Airbnb did not help at all & even refunded the deposit to the people who made the booking. They are dire 

6 Replies 6

This is not the only comment I have read about one person making a booking, but another person turning up.

I don't understand why anyone would accept such a switch (apart from greed).

Trust and verify. Turn non-booked guests away, then report it to Airbnb. Don't wait until it is too late.

We did not know the people who turned up were not the people who had made the booking.  It never crossed our minds that they would pass it to someone else without telling us.  Nieve not greedy

Stefan8
Level 2
Gold Coast, Australia

Well... regardless... the person that made the booking is fully responsible...Did you ask for a security deposit? Do you have the right insurance? Did you check their ID at check-in time? If you wish to make some extra money its all good... but treat it as such, you are not inviting friends in your house... You are offering a service and expecting to be reibursed... Being friendly is one thig but offering frienship is another matter...

It has happened to me, the people that turned up were not the ones that made the booking... I called the person who made the booking and doubled my security deposit on the spot or no entry...It worked out just fine...

Airbnb will not penalise you for refusing entry to an unregistred guest, it will be treated as no show and you will still get paid. There are no refunds for not checking in.

Antoinette10
Level 2
Garland, TX

I previously had a booking and then found out it was not them that was going to come and i immediately canceled the reservation.  The booking was done through the secretary using her account with airbnb. Then had the owner of the company she worled for try to book for the same reason.  I made it very clear to them that it was illegal and their "guest" coming in for the company had to have their own account with airbnb.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Dee51
Level 3
Jensen Beach, FL

Just learned that we aren't protected from guest theft without inquiring a ton of hardship on ourselves. We had a guest not pay for the coffee cups left in the room (price stated on airbnb, in photo's & in the room,) they also took hair products and of all things, a spoon. All minor stuff but if every guest walks off with $12 worth of stuff on a less than $40 night rental that's not going to work. The guest confirmed via our texts to have the money charged through airbnb because they were "homeless and couldn't get back to bring the things that were taken by accident" (I sent them the screenshot) and Airbnb's response was to have me file a police report & then send photo's and website links for replacement costs.

Spend my day and wasting an officers time over $12???

Way to go Airbnb.

Luckily this is my first theft in the year I have been hosting but as people figure out that they can get away with it, I'm sure this will escalate over time. Hosts need more protection.