Greater Clarification of payments and reservations.====ROGER

Roger68
Level 3
Roanoke, VA

Greater Clarification of payments and reservations.====ROGER

I host on many other web sites for my lake front home. They all have certain features in their software that are sorely lacking at Air bnb. 

1. There needs to be a "paid" notification sent to hosts. I know based on the Air bnb model it is "assumed" that the renter pays in full when a reservation is made. I want to hear from Air bnb that the renter paid. And the default payment should be one payment from the renter..not multiple payments. There should be a tab that hosts can use inthe software that are labled "paid reservations"......so one can tell who has paid, how much, and when.

2. There should be a default "Owner Log In" hot link when the main sight is reached.....and a "Owner's dashboard" as soon as Owner login is done.

3. There are fundamental flaws in Air bnb business structure that act against the Host's interest:

A). There is absolutely no reason for Air bnb to hold rents until a renter arrives. Sometimes rents are made in months in advance...that money belongs to the Hosts as part of their commitment of the implied contract to host...period.

4. While you are holding the money, a renter can cancel his reservation prior to arrival...and the Host has no recourse. This is not an issue when one is renting a room in his house.....but when renting a house....this can cost the Host hundreds if not thousands of dollars because a renter can cancel a week before arrival.....and it's not possible to rent a house on that short notice....and Hosts are the life blood to Air bnb....no Hosts....no renters...no revenue.

5. As a real estate professional, I am use to a certain level of professionalism and knowledge when doing a real estate transaction. Most of the people who write in this chatrooms, while knowledgeable about Air bnb, are ignorant of real estate law and common procedures that professional are use to. But the most dangerous problem is that they are obliviuos to dangers that they do not understand.

6. And that leads me to this complaint.....It is stated that Air bnb is based on trust. That is a failed philosopy. Good faith is essential in any business, but all actions and business decisions should be rooted in law to protect everyone involved....not just faith it will work out all right...or that Air bnb will make sure everything ok. I believe in the Ronald Reagan philosopy of "trust but verify" . That is why all aspects of a transaction should be verifiable...especially with people with limited knowledge pontificating about one of the most complicated business transactions today. Also, remember, at least in the Commonwealth of Virginia, all aspects of a real estate transactions MUST BE IN WRITING TO BE ENFORCABLE" . That comes directly from the "Statute of Fraudes" which is the basis of real estate law....and is the reason for this post. In closing, everything works...until it doesn't...it's when it doesn't that people get hurt, law suits happen, and Air bnb's reputation is harmed. A word to the wise should be sufficient, and I would tell this to an Air bnb help desk or any other living corporate assistance person, but you can't get to one in this company....also a unique flaw not sharred by any other hosting sights. 

5 Replies 5
Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Not sure why your ABB account is different than mine, @Roger, but as soon as the reservation is confirmed, I see the funds that are going to be delivered in my Future Transaction history, the amount that is going to be released, the date of release, and when I can expect to see it.

Wendy Perez

Real Estate Broker, 2001

JD, Suffolk University, 1984

In case it matters.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Roger68

I think the reason there holding the money is becuase there are two contract going on.

1. A contract between the Guest and Airbnb

2 A contract between Airbnb and the Host.

There rest as you point out Roger, is smoke and mirrors with Airbnb being the winner.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

The Explorer's Club Krakow VIII

Roger68
Level 3
Roanoke, VA

Cormac,

Interesting observation. I see how the implied contract is between the host and the renter...but cannot justify the second contract. In a contract there must be certain elements:

1. "A promise for a promise"....Air bnb promises nothing.

2. "Meeting of the minds through a mutual agreement"....Air Bnb agrees to nothing, is a party to nothing and consents to nothing.....it is more of an independent contractor facititator rather than a party to a contract.

3. "There must be acceptance and delivery"....Air bnb accepts nothing and delivers the same.

4. "There must be consideration" Air bnb offers nothing and only takes a fee...doesn't qualify.

"There must be Authority to act"...Air bnb has no authority on behalf of the host or renter.

For these and a "host" of other reasons, Air bnb is not in any contractual agreement with any specific arrangement between a host and renter...by any defendable legal measure....nor does it have the right to interfere with an agreement with a host or renter...which includes the consideration......or payments. If this ever went to court...I would hate to be Air bnb's attorney.....just saying.

Respectfully,

====ROGER

Roger68
Level 3
Roanoke, VA

Wendy Perez,

What you say matters greatly.....I do not see that link on my dashboard. It does help....yet it does not justify Air bnb holding money for that long....as it is not a party to thye agreement between the host and renter....nor is it an agent acting on the behalf or authority of either. Please see my post to Cormak.

Respectfully,

====ROGER

Melinda40
Level 1
Wales, United Kingdom

Well said.  Absolutely agree!

I have only recently joined airbnb and found information regarding the whole payment procedure seriously lacking!

I have no idea how or if the customer has actually "paid" for their booking as there is no confirmation of reservation payment.

I tried to check out the help section, but there is no information whatsoever for payment procedures, it's "assumed" which is unacceptable.

On what basis should the host wait 5 business days for payment if the renter has paid in full?

The whole calculation procedure for rentals should be much smoother and transparent, whereas it's a shambles.

Furthermore, I should be able to choose which currency I would like to work in, not be dictated based on which country I hold my banking as our property is overseas.

For a business that has been around a while now, it really needs due consideration, based on host's comments.

Melinda