Host Training

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Host Training

I would like a simple mandatory on line training for all new hosts before their listing is activated.  The training would require reading basic hosting processes, responding to "test questions" then becoming certified to activate.  I am dismayed by the number of new host errors on the basics such as, cancellations, refunds, photos, licensing, payout, Instant Book, managing calendar, etc.  Many hosts who may have even made it to Super Host also ask basic questions when something doesn't go as planned.  I hope this idea is not seen as trying to keep new hosts out.  I think new hosts good for all of us, especially if they are savvy about Air BNB.

I think several things are happening simultaneously.  Air BNB has expanded expedentially world wide with new hosts and also with new guests.  The cozy community of hosts and guests may be threatened.  Add to that, the cities that either see short term rental as an income source or as a threat are reacting and specifying Air BNB no matter what platform is being used.  Air BNB is reacting with marketing changes for growth but suffering from poor customer service and response time due to the increase.

The development of the city Home Sharing Host Clubs is a good response to help educate and support existing hosts only if Air BNB makes it a priority to support the clubs.

New hosts make mistakes which either penalize them or the guests.  If the hosts at least had to ensure they understood the basics that would alleviate some mistakes and reduce the pressure on the Air BNB staff.  Many hosts complain that the guests do not read their house rules and I find that many hosts do not read the basic hosting information provided by Air BNB.

Thank you for your thoughts about some type of new host requirements

11 Replies 11
Shelley23
Level 2
Tulsa, OK

As a fairly new host, I think this is an excellent idea. Every time I experience a new situation (cancellation mid-stay, or late arrival by 3 days), I have to immediately research the specific issues to inform the guest. I have contacted AirBNB phone support and been given misinformation regarding refunds (ie they told me the guest would not be refunded and I would be paid, yet the guest was refunded and I was not paid.) I think situations involving cancellations definitely need a host training section.
I think it would be a great idea to not allow SuperHost status until several training modules had been completed.

Again, great idea!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

I fully support this idea. Some of the answers by hosts newly pitching in on Community are even terribly uninformed when answering requests for help. I shudder to think I'd only get such reactions if I was a confused host needing assistance.
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

Excellent idea

Eloise0
Level 10
Winslow, AZ

I am so glad to be reading these posts'. Great idea about better Host training as I feel that many of the new Hosts because of the rapid growth of airbnb do not take the time to do the necessary foot work before they "start up their business" which is exactly what they are doing, they are starting a business.  Unfortunately a lot of new Hosts don't even bother to read all the rules and regulations and airbnb is doing a shoddy job of not following up on the validity and expertise of the new Host making it problematic for everyone.  As far as I am concerened the new Hosts who don't do their homework, don't even take the time to have a airbnb phone number written down, or in their phone contact list much less follow the rules are just as bad as the most difficult Guest.  I wish I had a dollar for everytime I had a Guest inquire with the statement of...."But the last Host let us do......."

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this post as it has eased my anxiety a little with regards to the direction that I see airbnb going in.  Wish we could have our own community back and be seperated from the multi listing absentee corporate Host and the Hosts that just don't give a **bleep** except to get the next guest and the next pay out, break the rules and then complain because the Guest broke the rules and now airbnb won't back them up and what is the phone number! I don't know why airbnb doesn't penalize rule breaking Hosts as that would be a good way to rectify a lot of the problems.

I also don't understand why airbnb doesn't do a better job of taking care of the Hosts that are working hard to preserve their brand name and it's original philosophy.

Every Guest that I have had that stayed at a place where the Host was not on the property  felt "ripped off" as they were all in hopes of that unique, authentic experience. I also know that there are Guests who do want more of a motel stay and not have any interaction with the Host so I think the suggestion that the listings could very easily be grouped according to the Host's style is an excellent idea.  I think there could easily be several platforms for airbnb Guests to choose from. And let's face it, how hard could it be to have the listings be sorted to the various preferences for Guests?

I won't even get started on what a horrible idea Instant Booking is.  

Wouldn't it be nice if "we" couldn't do something ourselves within the framework of airbnb to rectify the problems and make all the great and easy suggestions a reality?

My last thought on this is for Hosts that seem to have so many problems with Guests and that is: Read the rules, write clear house rules and DON"T BREAK THE RULES. 

Thank you,

Eloise at Happy Trails

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Excellent post and suggestion! My only education has been reading the forums, and I haven't always felt confident about the information given. Were I not the diligent researcher that I am, I would have missed many important basics, as they were not easily or obviously made available to me when I began.  

Jude

Eloise0
Level 10
Winslow, AZ

Dear Jude,

Thanks for your comment about doing the basic research with regards to the airbnb rules and culture.  I really hope that hard working Hosts can have a voice that is heard by airbnb about the direction that the company is going in. It would be heart breaking to me to have to quit Hosting through airbnb because of the huge number of corporate rental agencys "taking over" the listings at the expense of the name brand that the original on site Hosts built for them.  

Good luck and Happy Hosting.

Eloise at Happy Trails

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

--------------------

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

--------------------

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

--------------------