Service Fees....Host vs Guest

Service Fees....Host vs Guest

I just became aware that Guests are charged a different service fee  (a sliding scale from 6%-12% of some unknown amount of reservation revenue?) than the flat percentage fee Hosts are charged.  As a host, we do not see this added fee put onto the guest.   All we see our nightly rate, our 3% service fee, cleaning fee, and any extra fee/deposit we might charge.  Even on a guest itinerary, which serves as a secondary receipt I that I always provide to my guests upon checkin to show my "transparancy" of earnings, their service fee is not shown.  Now I understand they are seeing a different final cost than what they paid.  This lacks the tranparancy that builds trust between guests and hosts, and can lead to misunderstandings when a host is receiving inquires about the cost of the room. 

The fear I now have is this added fee, hidden to me, can come across as "undisclosed fee charging".  

AirBnB is setting up hosts for potential misleading pricing of guest properties during the booking stages on a couple of levels...one which I've already seen mentioned by other Hosts previous;ly but still not rectified.   First, hosts need the ability to accurately display the range of prices for their nightly room rate on their profile to account for higher demand pricing.  We now can only list one price, normally a "lower" the base price, which may not reflect higher room costs during demand periods.  This alone is misleading to a guest.  Add to this my new awareness of different service fees, guests are experiencing a double pricing surprise.  

AirBnB...this is something that needs to change immediately to protect the integrity and honesty your Hosts strive to maintain.....

Thank you!

20 Comments
Steven209
Level 1

So, i just lost a booking because the guest was unsure what the £57 service fee was. Has anyone had an answer from Airbnb about this appalling tactic?

Alistair23
Level 1

This thread seems to have gone quiet but I want to add my voice to those asking for more transparency.

I've been challenged several times by guests when the final price they get charged is higher than the "special offer" I gave them.

Special offers are a particular problem area and AirBnB must recognise that their lack of transparency erodes the community trust they value so highly.

Please fix this, AirbnB.

Leslie174
Level 1

I'm new back to ABNB after three years and have run into this issue as well with my first new booking.  I list my place for rent at $2200/month, the guest told me the fees they are being told $2600/that's a huge delta and VERY misleading!  Not sure how to solve it, I can't lower my monthly rate and get the ROI I'm looking for.  Leaves a very sour taste in my mouth, perfect tenants, willing to pay my rates prices out of the unit by ABNB.  Ugh

Rosaleen3
Level 4

Its still not clear to me what premium the guest is payaing to AIRBNB or how it is calculated. I can see no good reason for the lack of clarity.

I frequently get a message from AIRBNB suggesting that I should lower my rates to get more bookings...... Perhaps they would consider lowering their premiums for the same reason.

Gareth33
Level 2

As a guest I find AirBnB pricing extremely confusing and misleading.

During the booking process they don't clearly distinguish between Host Service fees and Guest service fees, and they don't make it clear that additional guest service fees will be added on top of the prices shown when booking.

Cormac0
Level 10

@Chad7

Another problem with the ever-increasing divergence between what the Guest pays and the Host receives is Guests expectations of the accommodation level they’re going to receive.

Why is it not a “flat fee” rather than a percentage of the rental rate?

Airbnb’s fees are outrageous and unjustified relative to the risk they take and the service they provide I wish Host would wake up and start demanding a better service, more transparency, and lower fee.  

Am I the only Host that finds an incongruity between Airbnb’s stated aim of building a world-wide community and it total lack of transparency of fee?   

Rosaleen3
Level 4

100% agree with Cormac.

The airbnb service fee is not transparent and it must be.

Transactions made on  these 'social network ' hook up websites  are completey  based on trust and transparency. The fluctuating service is the only element that seems shrouded in mystery.

Can it be because AIRBNB are embarrassed about the level of the fees ??

As pointed out above , the only time the host is shown the service fee is when we send a SPECIAL OFFER .

Common sense would suggest that the service fee should be lowest on such an offer. Instead the percentage added appears to rise .

Angie-And-Bob0
Level 2

I agree.  I need to know exactly what each guest has paid.  I am not solely interested in what I get.  The level of experience the guests are entitled to is dependent on the amount they paid and if this can vary from 0% to 20% (as I have read on official Air BnB information pages) and airBnB are NOT telling me which rate they are using with my guests, I therefore have NO idea how to conduct or respond to small issues that impact on guest satisfaction.   To be a superhost you need to focus on the customer and customer satisfaction is  highly price related.   This could be the single reason that makes me leave AirBnB.  I need to be told FOR EVERY GUEST - exactly how much they are shelling out for their stay with me.  This information helps me to be a good superhost.

Angie-And-Bob0
Level 2

I've had an idea, (that helps single-priced accommodation anyway).  We don't use variable pricing and charge the same for each night for the time we are open, so  I will put a notice up saying what WE actually charge each night.  Guests will then have an idea and their expectations of my accommodation will be based on this figure.  I would happily base my standards and guest expectations on the guests payment figures  - if only Air BnB would make this clear on our booking data.    

Joel197
Level 2
Good Idea Angie. I'm doing the same. I also gave them the reason why I was turning it off. I've always loved and respected Airbnb for many years but finding this out was such a shock I'm looking for an alternative service for the first time ever. It's just like the bad taste Food Delivery services put in my mouth learning that they upcharge random amounts on food the store charges, and on top they charge other service and membership fees. Your better off ordering direct from the stores like Kroger or Walmart and paying them to delivery directly.