Why aren´t guest´s details (such as full name and address) shared with a host?

Katka0
Level 4
Prague, Czech Republic

Why aren´t guest´s details (such as full name and address) shared with a host?

Hi,

reading all the anti-discriminatory statements followed by discussions in the last few days made me check more what do I, as a host, know about guests when they are coming to stay in my place and I realized that not much - apart from the obvious - what is stated in their profile and email/telelephone number. I wonder why are hosts not informed about the address and full name of the guests who booked their place? Especially if the guest doesn´t have any previous reviews. 

All guests are welcome in my place, but sometimes, when you have "security doubts" it would nice to know at least the full name to be able to google the person who is coming to stay in your place, wouldn´t it?

Or have I missed something and we can find this information on the web somewhere?

K.

13 Replies 13

For me the ability to have a conversation (i.e. not have IB), past reviews, and a verified Government ID for someone with no reviews is enough. I am against being judge & jury of someone based on the Internet's error laden, untrustworthy information. As for giving out guest's private information, such as address, it could well be a violation of their privacy and could result in security issues for them.
Katka0
Level 4
Prague, Czech Republic

@Ange2 - alright, I understand what you are saying. Let me be more specific about the case I am talking about:

guest booked through IB

he has no past reviews

no description on his profile

he only has a photo and verified email and telephone number

and I see his airbnb nick (first name and first letter of his surname)

that´s not much to be honest, especially when I got a strange feeling from the communication after he booked, not before unfortunately (we were in touch even before he booked, but it all seemed genuine till now)

I am fairly happy with IB and I have never canceled any booking. I accept even bookings from first time guests, because in the 4 yrs on airbnb I have really had only positive experience with guests so far. And because of one bad feeling I don´t want to change the settings which are otherwise working fine. That´s why I was wondering if in some cases it would be good to know a little more about the guests.

Perhaps I should rethink my IB policy 😞

@Katka0  I see your point. When you choose instantBook I think you can set preferences such as the guest has to have a Government Verified ID, they have to have reviews etc. Not sure how well it works. But, follow your gut to be safe, I think you can cancel three times on an InstantBook without being penalized - but do check as I am not 100% sure.

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

There have been numerous studies that show humans are, generally, biased towards their own race and cultural groups when presented with absolutely no information besides a picture. That's why, if Airbnb really wanted to root out racism or bias in bookings, they would encourage more complete profiles from guests rather than finding ways to pressure hosts into accepting more bookings. Why not require that guests include a bio, and at least one reference if not a review? How about making sure the name on the profile matches the name on the ID? And give guests more of an opportunity to show us who they really are. That would decrease bias AND increase security.

Beth27
Level 3
Greenwood Lake, NY

Hi There,

IB provides an option to only allow guests who have been "positively reviewed" before. Just not sure what guidelines they use for that. Is it anyone who has been reviewed and aquired, lets say, only a 1 star rating? Wish we had better transparency on that front.

As for non IB booings, yoy will get the guests first and last name sent to you via email. From there you can research the individual. 

Hope that helps,

Beth

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Penelope0
Level 5
Englewood, FL

I accepted a guest who has had no previous bookings but Air BNB says she has a verified ID. Her booking request says this stay is to be part of her honeymoon. She didn't give me her fiance's name. I accepted the request. I asked for her questions. After a week, I called Air BNB to see if this was a real guest since she had not 1 word of communication with me. They assured me the guest was real. I send much more info about the area and activities- still nothing. 

This is a whole house rental. I am hosting from a distance. 

I am somewhat unsettled by the silence of the guest. The stay is in a few weeks.

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

If the guest referred to her fiance, and said the rental was part of their honeymoon, I'd assume they are very likely quite busy getting married! Give it some time. Some of the best guests I've had have been new to Airbnb and weren't very communicative upfront.

Penelope0
Level 5
Englewood, FL

Hi and thanks for the response.

The booking and info. I  sent was in September. After I posted this comment this morning, I tried tried again to ask my guest if she had all the info she needed, and if directions, etc. were clear.  This time, she responded. I had worried about them finding the house, getting in. etc.

Sheri29
Level 2
Marquette, MI

I have 4 guys coming and only one first name. A little Leary.

Cathy175
Level 2
Marshall, MI

Interesting thread.  I'm a landlord with 30 properties and 1 Airbnb.  From what I can see you should consider Airbnb a clearing house for your money that provides the absolute minimum in support and background checks.  They will verify the pereson is who they say the are, check the ID and address and this is it.

Be leary of anybody who doesn't take their profile serisously.  If they post a picture of themselves in a group so you don't know which one they are I think RED FLAG.  

If they don't fill out their personal profile completely RED FLAG.

You as a host take the process seriously.  If they want to rent from you they should also.

I don't use instant book because Airbnb doesn't care who they pass through to you.  If they have a heartbeat and an address they are OK by Airbnb.  

Instant book should not only require those basic characteristics but also a fully filled out profile and at least one booking with a 4 start or higher rating.  (just my $0.02)

If they can't meet that characteristic then they shouldn't be allowed to instant book.

There are penalties when not using instant book, like your listing isn't shown first, but do you really want to rent to a person who doesn't fully research where they are staying.  Do you really want the person who just intant books the first property that meets the price criteria?

I don't, I want somebody who cares as much as I do.  

DO NOT trust Airbnb to filter guests for you.  They are here to make money and that is their only purpose.  You are who they make money off of, not the guest.  That is the end of your relationship.

Set criteria and stick to them.  I made an exception once for a small dog.  The issues from that tenant are still lingering.

A vacant week is much better than dealing with the aftermath of a poor guest.

Robert310
Level 2
Converse, TX

Being a retired federal officer, I am natrually suspisious of first names only. Have guest reveal full names and professions. And let guest know it is unproper to make last minute request.

Dardo2
Level 1
Switzerland

I found very unprofessional and non serious, full name and ID copie is the way to go ,most of the host use their own houses ,receiving on known people,with no name, document shown ,and references,please a little of serious! (Trie to book a hotel with out nothing and see what happens)