$1,500 in damages but the host guarantee won't cover it

Answered!

$1,500 in damages but the host guarantee won't cover it

Hello all!

I'm hoping someone can guide me here. It is my first time handling damages that totalled more than $400-$500, you know the usual, broken plates, towels, bed linens, etc.

This guest broke my range oven which cost more than $3,200 and had to buy a replacement for half the cost while dancing on top of it. They texted me early morning to let me know an accident had happened but their reservation wasn't yet complete, 2 more nights ahead of them.

I immediately call Airbnb for guidance, I was advice to submit a request with a receipt of purchase and to host them since I would be covered. I did, I requested the amount that totaled the oven and involved airbnb after 72 hrs.  Now, the guest left, had not accept the charges and airbnb wants to pay less than 50% of our damages ($649).  I have guests landing today, I can't afford to loose that money in damages made by the guest. I have decline the payout and requested the case manager to advice for the next steps.

Please if anyone knows, or have been through this I would highly appreciate any help or guidance with this host guarantee program and what to do with my upcoming guest. 

Thank you! 

1 Best Answer
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Gigi69 @Jonathan6 @Ana1136 @Lisa723 

What the heck ?!!

The guests BROKE the Range. They need to pay to get it fixed, and NOT at a cost that they'd 'like' to fix it for BUT the cost IT ACTUALLY COSTS ! All of a sudden are they experts in Range replacement costs?

Forget depreciation. Thats a benefit to the owner for the investment - not the guest. Thats how the owner mitigates the low cost of rental. If ABB want to challenge this, have a loss adjuster sent out in a 12 hour time span! The owner doesn't want the hassle of the breakage, the guest fu***d up.. Their fault!

Sometimes, I think people need to grasp on reality.

View Best Answer in original post

36 Replies 36
Jonathan6
Level 10
Mamaroneck, NY

Number 1 you need to replace the stove regardless, you don't want to give up revenue from your next guests.  

Did ABB give you a reason for why they wanted to give you less?  If it was a used item you are only entitled to the depreciated value.  I know you would like a new stove, but if you had a 20 year old one you got value out of it.

If not the above, then you need to continue to push on ABB, did you take pictures?  You say the guest acknowledged the damage, is it documented? 

Good luck,

Hello Jonathan!

1. We didn't need to replace the stove. It was a less than 4 years old. It worked and it would've worked for at least 10 years. I understand what you are saying but unfortunately this wasn't mentioned before purchasing a new one. ABB customer support stated in a recorded conversation that the guests agreed to pay up and amount ($1,000) and the difference would've been covered by Host gurantee program. I was reasured and asked to follow the process, be patient and continue hosting this guests, regardless, of the damages. 

2. Yes, they texted me that morning stating they basically broke the stove also said that they will be paying. I took screen shots of the conversation  and submitted them along with the receipt of purchase and the original cost.

I'm a property manager, I'm not the owner. The owner has asked to unlist the property. 

Thank you 

As a property manager you should understand that whenever you suffer a loss the measure of your damages are not the replacement value but the market value of the item  (you would only get replacement value if you have that kind of policy), so the value would be price you would get if you put a 4 year old stove up for sale. 

Based on this post you say that ABB is actually making good on this, so all's well that end well.

Hello Jonathan,

The guests agreed to pay $1,000 now ABB is paying half of what was agreed with the guest.

I'm not sure how is this making good, but I appreciate the message. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Gigi69 

Why can't you host new guests ?

I understand the oven is replaced now.

Maybe increase your security deposit.

What "incident" happened to the oven that it needed to be replaced ?

Best regards,

Emiel

Hello Emiel!

Thank you for your message!

1.I'm the property manager, the owner asked to remove the listing based on this experience. I paid for the appliance based on the information given by ABB  that everything will be covered by guests and the host gurantee program.

The guests didn't describe what happened. When we went to check the appliance the only guest in the house, said she was drunk from the night before one and mentioned dancing in the counter but this is just a comment from one of the guests.  It was never clarfied to me what happened and how they could break a ceramic top into pieces without intentional human force. 

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Gigi69  ...had to buy a replacement for half the cost while dancing on top of it. They texted me early morning to let me know an accident had happened but their reservation wasn't yet complete,

They texted you to say they have broken your Range by dancing on it? And..

ABB stated "and to host them since I would be covered".

Frankly, they owe the whole amount, they acknowledged they broke it and ABB should insist they pay otherwise ABB should pay. As far as you are concerned you want payment from somewhere and ABB should be sorting it out. You bought for $1,600. You need to insist on $1,600.

Photograph the broken Range, send a copy of the receipt, plus fitting and ask when will you receive payment?

Hey!

This is exactly my line of thought. I have been here before, with damages but never this amount. Never like this, the guests were staying for 2 more nights. They broke it, acknowledge it and agreed to pay an amount. I was told by ABB that I didn't need to worry since I was covered even if they canceled the credit card on file. ABB "the guests will pay $1,000 and ABB will cover the rest with the host gurantee program".  Now ABB is saying otherwise, and now the guests left.

I submitted all of this, hopefully we can sort this out. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Gigi69  "This guest broke my range oven which cost more than $3,200 and had to buy a replacement for half the cost while dancing on top of it." ??? I do not understand this sentence at all.

Regardless: no way is Airbnb going to pay full new replacement cost for a damaged appliance. Your best bet would be to get a professional repair estimate, and send that in along with photos of the damage. In this way I was able to get a significant percentage of the cost to replace a hot tub damaged by guests. The repair cost was high enough that it made more sense to replace, but Airbnb just paid the estimated repair cost.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Lisa723 i believe 'while dancing on top of it' is just some saying, I might be wrong 🙂 In my understanding she bought a replacement for half of the price of the broken oven and in no way she can expect the full price of the previous oven she owned. 

Hello Lisa,

I apologize if I confused you, I meant  I had to purchase a new one because the guests decided to break it by negligence.

I might not had explained this well. The issue is the missleading information given by ABB. I trusted what they said to me and what the guests promised. The guest agreed to an amount and the ABB agreed to pay the rest. This is what was said and promised to me for 2 days. I made my decision based on that information, not in assumptions or what was the market rate of the oven but based on conversations with more than one customer service representative. 

The quote to repair was submitted, along with the receipt of purchase.  

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Gigi69 @Jonathan6 @Ana1136 @Lisa723 

What the heck ?!!

The guests BROKE the Range. They need to pay to get it fixed, and NOT at a cost that they'd 'like' to fix it for BUT the cost IT ACTUALLY COSTS ! All of a sudden are they experts in Range replacement costs?

Forget depreciation. Thats a benefit to the owner for the investment - not the guest. Thats how the owner mitigates the low cost of rental. If ABB want to challenge this, have a loss adjuster sent out in a 12 hour time span! The owner doesn't want the hassle of the breakage, the guest fu***d up.. Their fault!

Sometimes, I think people need to grasp on reality.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 yes they should, but will they? This is not about should or shouldn't, we all, plus the host, the guests and Airbnb know what is the right thing to do. The thing is, not everyone does the right thing especially when it comes to giving money. Both the guests and Airbnb will try to pay the minimum amount and that is the reality. 

@Ana1136 

If you accept that as the reality then thats where the problem lies.

@Gigi69 Has all the evidence neccesary. She has already discounted a $3200 Range for a $1600 one... Depreciation ?? Huh!

They should. Because they should. And they should be held to account over it. If not, take legal advice and pursue legal action.

Alternatively, inflict $3,200 of damage at ABB HQ and see if they depreciate the value and accept $1000 instead (?)